Bourbon Barrel Suge Knite

Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 20 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Oh_Dark_Star from Washington

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: Standard black as night fare. Subtle to no head and some retention for what it has.

S: Vanilla, bourbon, and oak, followed by roast and cocoa and a sweet tobacco note.

T: No booze with the ABV, very nice. Carmelized sugars but not overly sweet. Follows the nose. Balance is what this beer has! Moderate complexity but overall a damn good brew.

F: I second the review that this is not BCBS in mouthfeel. But who 's beer is? This is nicely viscous and smooth and creamy for the weight and perfect for when the heavyweights will be overbearing, or when this is not your only brew for the evening.

O: My first Boneyard brew and wow! I've missed the Hop Venom a couple times, but this is a must try for sure. I really had no idea they were BA stout contenders. Impressive! I have a new brewery to explore.

Feb 20, 2020
Ciocanelu from Romania

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sample at Mikkeller Beer Celebration Copenhagen 2018, Green Session. Aroma has dark malts, wood, celery and other vegetal notes. Taste is sweet, woody, sugary but also bitter and boozy on the finish.

Jun 23, 2018
StonedTrippin from Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

i didnt even know these guys made beers like this, so i was stoked to discover it, i thought it was mostly hoppy stuff! this is enormous beer, with incredible density and viscosity, this is a meal in the glass, strong but remarkably not hot or overly alcoholic to drink, it just catches up with you pretty quick! i get bakers chocolate, whiskey soaked raisins, molasses, burnt caramel, and toasted nuts, there is a lot going on, a wonderful complexity to the malt base, bitter and roasted heavily on the one hand, yet layered with sweet rich flavors on the other, there is self contained and self generated balance here, and thats cool in a beer this huge. the bourbon aspect hardly seems needed, this would be flavorful and robust enough without it, but i like the notes of maple and vanilla that it adds, and i think the wood adds an even more mellow vibe to the feel, this has some good glide going down and doesnt linger quite as long as it seems like it should for how big it is, i like it wrapping up expediently. molasses and cocoa to finish, barrel char and coffee grinds, fruit cake, cigars, plums, its all here. not a beer i could handle too much of, but a treat to try! very cool to see boneyard doing this sort of thing!

Dec 01, 2017
cquinn17 from Washington

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

Mental notes from a 12 oz draft pour @ Brouwers Big Wood Fest in Fremont.

A- Poured pitch black with little to no head. Looked like a high abv BA stout should look.

S- Got a lot of barrel on the smell. Strong bourbon notes of charred oak, vanilla, subtle caramel, and quite a bit of booze. It smelled pretty hot from the start.

T- Really nice. The taste was a lot more calm then the hot smell. I sort of feel like the bourbon was the highlight of this beer. That being said, I've never had the base beer so I can't say for sure how this differs from the original. To me, this was a lot of charred oak, a little smoked malt? and an incredible amount of drinkability for 14% abv. It didn't knock me on my ass right away, but writing this review a couple hours later I realize that it has a subdued punch that comes back to get ya'.

M- For a 14% beer, this wasn't as thick as I would have liked. However, to call out personal bias, I think I compare a lot of stouts to BCBS, which has a perfect mouthfeel, imo. It was good not great.

O- This was my first Boneyard beer, as a newly relocated midwesterner, and it didn't disappoint. I think there is some room for them to play around with the mouthfeel and "smooth factor" that other BA stouts have, but in my book, it is right there with some great ones in the category. It's not quite elite, but its an awesome start from a brewery that I definitely will seek out in the future.

Dec 05, 2014