Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Imperial Märzen | The Kernel Brewery

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by Trizzle on 03-19-2011

Reviews by Trizzle:
3.82/5  rDev 0%

An interesting beast, yellow and hazy, a dark orange centre and only a rim of head leaving little lace. Straw and berries in the nose, a hint of fusel alcohol.

Dry and straw like up front, sweetish malts fade in, and with it some mild and dry-grass hops. Alcohol is present at warmer temps but not at all unpleasant.

Moutfeel is medium and a touch syrupy with the abv.

Brewed as a collaboration with Dark Star from Sussex, I'm not surprised that this is so interesting. I like it.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a cervoise glass. Best before 15 December 2013.

A: Very light head on a wonderfully orange beer. Murky-clear with constant, scattered bubbles. Adding the yeast from the bottom makes it consistently muddy, but no less good-looking. Some nice lacing.

S: Whoah there hops. Strong and fruity. A tinge of pine reminds me of Cascade hops, though it could just be all the grapefruit reminding me American IPAs. Some spicy cracked black pepper and a far-off lageriness.

T: Reeally nice. Strong, punchy notes of malty toffee sweetness lead the way for a lingering, hoppy endtaste loaded with citrus and fun. I wish the maintaste had a but more endurance, but I've no criticism as to flavour. Definitely packs more of a wallop with the yeast poured in -- don't neglect to do so.

M: I'm torn here, but I think the thing really holding the flavour back is a weakness of body...a sort of thinness. But at the same time, the dry aftertaste is sensational.

O: Aside from a distracting thinness and flavourful brevity, this is a stunning production. I'm quite impressed. The 9.1% tells, but is perhaps the backbone of the beer and one of the things that makes it so interesting. I hear tell there's only a few of these floating around, so if you see one -- grab it!

Notes: A collaboration with Dark Star Brewing Co. A Dark Star blog post about its production can be found here: http://darkstarbrewing.co.uk/marks-blog/kerneldark-star-collaboration/

Imperial Märzen from The Kernel Brewery