Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Devil Bird (2010) | Lavery Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Lavery Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

A festive name for a holiday beer, right? Based on the Irish tradition of carrying a dead wren through the streets on the day after Christmas. Will be available usually the week after Thanksgiving and will be very (very) limited release. Packaged in 1 liter flip top amber bottles & our recipe and style changes from year to year.

2010 - Spiced Holiday Ale

Added by MasterSki on 12-14-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 7
3.6/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured out of a liter sized bottle with a resealable top (exacty like the default picture above) and into a goblet this limited local brew pours brown in color. When held up to the light you quickly see that this beer has a pretty good haze to it. Tan colored head stood about two fingers tall following my straight down the middle pour. Head has settled to a thin lace after a few minutes, but the head retention is to be respected.

The aroma smells of mild spices and sweet malts. I'm also detecting the orange blossom honey.

Taste is smooth and refreshing with the spices lending some nice flavors. Almost has a bit of a cola like flavor towards the middle. There's a slight hop bitterness in the finish.

Thin body/mouthfeel for the style....maybe just a bit too thin. Fairly low carbonation level which is fine by me.

I'm sharing this bottle with my brother-in-law, but I could probably polish this off myself if I had to.

Morey's Bottom Line: Great looking bottle. I love that you can re-cap it. A pretty good winter ale especially for such a young brewery. I can easily see myself picking up a bottle every year.

Reviewed on: 12-25-2010 00:43:08

4.11/5  rDev +5.9%

Cask/hand pump at UPick6 in Erie PA. Poured an awesome, Hazy/creamy Brown Body, with different layers of foam, all through the glass. Nice Christmas spice flavor, cinnamon , clove. Body is a little thin, but the taste overall makes up for it. A nice balanced Hop/Malt finish...with the spice hanging around too. Wish I could take some home. (Forgot my growler)

Devil Bird (2010) from Lavery Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.