Calvera | Rising Tide Brewing Company

Rising Tide Brewing Company
Maine, United States
risingtidebrewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ToasterChef on 02-18-2013

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to Tim for sharing.

Creamy mocha colored 1/2 finger head, some sticky lacing, dark molasses brown color but no light

Nose creamy brown malts, caramel, toffee, light cocoa and vanilla, cocoa, light fluffy nougat

Taste creamy malts, brown sweet malts with toffee and caramel, fluffy, Very light vanilla, some light bitter earthy hops, hint spicy, little syrupy, hint cocoa, fair bitterness, sticky finish, some earthy hops, light dark malts, wheat doesn't even crack into it except maybe to lighter the overall feel of it.

.Mouth is med to lighter bod, lighter but decent carb.

Overall ok but nothing special. Decent brown and dark malts, cocoa and vanilla, hops get a bit bigger than I expected, and the wheat gets pretty much destroyed by the rest of the beer characters, and maybe just thins the overall feel.

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a wheat stout, based upon Ursa Minor, aged in red wine barrels for six months with pureed cherries. It was a brewery only release of 360 375ml bottles.

It is a perfectly black beer with a small tan head. The foam settled somewhat quickly and now all that remains is a ring around the edge of the beer. Swirling leaves pretty good lacing.

Smelling the beer provides a good amount of red wine aromas. I wouldn't mistake this for a glass of vino though, as there is apparent cherry as well as some sweetness form the base beer. There is a hint of toasted malt.

This beer has an interesting mixture of flavors, but my initial opinion is that aren't blending too well. Each component tastes rather distinct. I can taste the wheat stout first, with plenty of dark toasted malt. Red wine then takes over my tongue, with plum and red grape. Lastly, as I swallow, the cherries can be tasted. They are not sweet and taste like biting into a freshly picked piece of fruit.

The beer does leave a noticeable coat behind that is slightly sticky. It retains some of the red wine flavor. The carbonation feels strong with a lot fo little bubbles that seem to foam up in my mouth.

This is an interesting experiment from Rising Tide. I enjoyed this beer, but it didn't blow me away like I had hoped it would. I do have one more bottle that I plan to age for awhile, so hopefully that will allow the flavors to blend a bit more. I would like to see the brewery do more barrel aging, as this beer and Polaris have been successful.

Calvera from Rising Tide Brewing Company