Berkshire Hills 01201 | Wandering Star Brewing Company

Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

2.54/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had on tap preciously poured in a 12oz glass....in a place where beers usually aren't. Pricey.

Looks a bit darker than a saison should. Smells nice, some peppery spice in the nose. Some funk too?

Initial taste a bit surprising due to the funkiness. But I swirled it around a bit @ a grainy taste took over & washed away a somewhat unpleasant funk. As I drank the glass the funk became less pronounced, got some slight green apple taste.

Maybe I got used to the funk??? Got bored with this beer as I drank the rest.

This is a middle of the road saison with a slightly funny taste. Given the plethora of new nanos in new england doing belgo crap, I cant see myself seeking this particular beer again.

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC.
Poured into large tulip glass...
Hazy, golden hay color. Nice head and lacing.
Grassy, peppery aroma; and has an earthy funk to it. I can't tell if I like it???
Taste is similar...slight belgian yeast, dominated by earthy grass and hay flavor with a pepper nose. Fruity, maybe apple aftertaste.
Its pretty good, not my favorite ever, but unique to the style. Its deff a nice harvest style...I think this would be great with a much higher abv, almost like a barley wine...but worth a try as is.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Had on-tap at Sunswick 35/35 in Astoria, NY on 11/18/11.
Review taken from notes.

This beer pours a nice golden amber color. It has a good finger of white head on top. The head has pretty good retention, and it leaves scattered lace behind on the glass. The nose starts off with some bread malt, light fruit, and some spices. There is a bit of barnyard funkiness to it, as well as some yeasty easters. The taste follows the nose pretty well. It starts off with the bread malts and light fruit flavors like green apple and pear. There is some earthy grassy bitterness to it, as well as a mild hop presence. There is a bit of barnyard funk and yeast. The finish leaves some lingering earthy hop flavor, yeast, and a bit of sweetness on the palate. This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a long smooth feel to it. It starts off with a nice sweetness and there is a good earthy grassy hop bitterness, as well as some funk, and yeasty dryness. This has good drinkability. I could easily have a few glasses of this in an evening. It has a nice smoothness to it and the flavor really good. Overall, I really enjoyed this, and I think it is a really nice example of a saison. I recommend checking it out if you come across it.

Berkshire Hills 01201 from Wandering Star Brewing Company