Innuendo

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 10 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Never got to have this last year when it came out, but I'm glad to see Baxter revisit it for 2019 because I was definitely intrigued. Funny enough, I actually had a very similar beer (conceptually, anyway, not sure about the quality comparison yet obviously) kinda recently that I wasn't big into. A White Russian Nitro "stout" of a similar stripe by Left Hand Brewing. I typically don't like nitro beers, and that one was easy to drink but overall just not something I really wanted. Will Baxter, Maine's premier hit-or-miss brewery, knock this out of the park? Or will it get swept under the rug? Get it? Big Lebowski reference? Alright, tough crowd.

Pours kind of a difficult-to-describe color, honestly. It's like a ruddy blood orange-juice looking hue. Coppery and transluucent with a thin but retentive head of bone-white foam... small streaks of inconsistent lacing. Hmm. Other reviews talk about it having unsightly floaties, and this does have some suspended solids, but they're quite fine and difficult to perceive unless you actually try, so I'll just go ahead and say this looks decent but not great.

Right upfront, I'm smelling a lot of Hershey's milk chocolate straight away, with some coffee creamer and blonde roast beans backing everything up. I guess it has a "White Russian" element to it, sure. For a 9.5% beer, though, I can barely detect any alcohol, so that's kind of scary and impressive. Caramel and toffee here as well with some biscuity and bready undertones. No harsh roast (obviously) makes this smell pretty enjoyable and I'm immediately having a better feeling about it than the Nitro one Left Hand put out.

Pretty fun stuff here... first few sips give off a milk chocolate vibe while following gulps get more on to the toffee side of things with coffee-influenced roastiness backing it up. Some light citrusy notes that fade away as the lactose takes hold in the finish. Has a milk stout-like feel to it, for sure, but the grain profile is quite a bit more "English pale ale" in build than most milk stouts you've probably had. A very weird combination of things here, but it somehow works. Good, well-defined carbonation and a nice medium-heavy body throughout the mid-palate. Golden stouts and their ilk are very hard to properly pull off, and most of them really suck. This one is pretty enjoyable after all, though, and I have to hand it to Baxter... even though they're inconsistent at times, they will knock a few of their odd style brews out of the park when you least expect it. This is a good one. It deserves to be enjoyed and considered.

Nov 16, 2019
SawDog505 from New Hampshire

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a 13 oz snifter canned on 10/24/18 and weighing in at 9.5%. Pours a very confusing dark orange with a 2 plus finger slightly off white head that leaves thin patches of lace behind, with pretty solid retention. I was expecting stout looking with White Russian flavors, oh well makes sense now. 4

Smell is cocoa, faint coffee, vanilla, and some toffee. 3.75

Taste follows cocoa, muddled coffee, toffee, vanilla, and caramel. 3.75

Mouthfeel is a big medium, plenty of life but slightly creamy, a tad dry, and at 9.5% ABV alcohol is well hidden. 4

Overall this is solid, different is often nice. With the cold brew coffee shined more and time someone brews a beer inspired by The Dude Jeffrey Lebowski I expect more, but not to shabby man! 3.75

Dec 30, 2018
BEERMILER12 from Maine

3.87/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a dark tan color with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a thin cap

S: Cocoa, coffee, lactose sweetness, and light roast

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with a mix of the coffee and cocoa and continues with the lactose. Moderately sweet. Finishes with lingering coffee and lactose sweetness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. On the smoother side

O: An interesting white stout with a good mix of cocoa and coffee. The lactose adds a nice mellow sweetness. Easy to drink. Weird but solid

Nov 16, 2018
SierraNevallagash from Maine

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint can dated 10/24/18 "The Dude Abides" Massive credit for the awesome can artwork and throwback to a classic cult film, The Big Lebowski. Neat.

Pours a bla....CLEAR AMBER?!?! WHAT IS THIS?? This stout is a hazy orange color... I get that there's no roasted malt, but...okay...Okay... I get it. It's not a "*White Russian* Style Stout"- it's a WHITE - Russian Style Stout. A white stout. And I thought I'd seen it all. Lactose floaties lay unattractive in suspension. No head at all. Still.

Nose is remarkably stout-like for its blasphemous appearance. Caramel, cocoa, coffee grounds, vanilla, bourbon, and booze.

Palate is smooth mocha notes of creamy cold brewed coffee and silky dark chocolate. No real roasty bitterness, but a faint cocoa powder bitter touch at the very end. Some vanilla cream notes as well as a good sweet touch, both presumably from the addition of lactose. The flavor here is quite good, but it's lacking something. It's missing some inherent stouty quality.

Mouthfeel is awkward. It's smooth and slightly creamy in a lactose fashion, but the body itself is actually very thin. This is not helped by the fact that this is way too overcarbonated. I always say I like my beer bubbly. I've never had a bubbly stout. I love my bubbles, but it's very clear that they don't work in a stout. Prickly and sharp, thin body, creamy lactose - it's just all kind of a mess.

Overall: Wow. I don't know guys. It looks like shit, but looks don't matter all that much. It smells great. The taste is not bad by any means, but it's odd to call it a stout. It's like a synthetic stout. The mouthfeel is just all wrong. But I guess I have to give it credit for being drinkable. That's what matters the most. I've never had one offering from Baxter that I enjoyed. This is the best so far, but that's not setting the bar very high. Unique, yes, points for that. Drinkable? Yes. Points for that? I will, for the most part, enjoy the rest of this, but it's not bringing home any medals, and I will not buy this again.

Nov 10, 2018
Sabtos from Ohio

3.42/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a dark amber with fine, sandy floaters dispersed all over under a moderate off-white head settling to a thin film.

Smell is slightly metallic, and slightly roasty, with coffee, biscuit, corn and baked bread.

Taste is moderately tangy of nutty toast with a sort of semi-bitter vegetal pine or weeds, but does end with milk chocolate and mild coffee.

Feel is medium to full with a soft but firm carbonation before a tingly semi-dry finish.

Nov 01, 2018
Innuendo from Baxter Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 10 ratings