Mexican Cake - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - Triple Chocolate

Jan 23, 2021
SCORE
n/a
Notes: None
Recent ratings and reviews.

4 by Nichols33 from Massachusetts on Jan 06, 2022

4.06 by westcoastbeerlvr from California on Dec 10, 2021
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%
by BEER88 from Washington

See my Untappd for picture and full review. @c b

Dec 06, 2021
by Alieniloquium from Florida

650 mL bottle. Black and viscous. Smells of lots of chocolate, bourbon, cinnamon, and pepper. Tastes of lots of chocolate, strong pepper spice, bourbon, and cinnamon in the back end. Medium heavy. Good stuff. Mexican Cake plus chocolate and barrel.

Sep 19, 2021

4.28 by DVMin98 from North Carolina on May 18, 2021
4.42/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4
by Whyteboar from Michigan

Took me a while to figure this one out. All the individual elements are great, but overall the experience was not my absolute favorite. Allow me to explain-
The pout was black as oil and the dense head a variegated brown - not ivory, or khaki or tan, browns. Deep and rich looking this one is.
The aroma was promising; malts charged with chocolate and coffee swirls, just wonderful.
The taste was likewise wonderous, the complexity of the malts and chocolates and other integrated flavors made my mouth and brain very happy. Then as one is wont to do in these situations, I swallowed. That's where the chili kicks in. And it kicks in hard.
Before I elaborate, I'll finish the basics.
The feel of this is outstanding, very viscous and just matched the flavors and abv well.
So overall - I am more perplexed after drinking this than when I stared - it was like simultaneously drinking two distinct beers - one an amazing BA imperial stout with chocolate and the other a beer you can rate on the Scoville scale. Just where one transitions to the other I could never discern, despite finishing the bomber.
It is *good* and if you like the chili heat, by all means, get some! I found it a bit hotter than I would have preferred and while it didn't ruin the beer for me, it kept me from enjoying it even more.

Apr 19, 2021

4.4 by PhineasMcClintock from Massachusetts on Apr 17, 2021

4.5 by smartassboiler from Illinois on Jan 23, 2021
Mexican Cake - Bourbon Barrel-Aged - Triple Chocolate from Westbrook Brewing Co.