Blue-Berry Wheat Beer | Alcatraz Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Alcatraz Brewing Co.

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by t0rin0 on 07-20-2009

4.04/5  rDev 0%

The bartender tells me that this is made every summer but it wasn't clear if the fruit is changed each year or if it is blueberry every year. In any event this is actually just the Weiss Guy Wheat (american pale wheat ale) with blueberry extract added. I think it was done very well (for the style).

Pours the same as the weiss guy wheat, that being murky, yellow, and white with some silky white head. I understand that wheat beers are hazy by nature but this was a bit overdone.

Smell is of sour wheat and blueberry, but thank goodness more blueberry than wheat. I am not a big fan of american wheat beers.

Flavor is heavy on the blueberries. There is a medium/high bitterness for the style, so definitely not a German weizen beer. Again there is an underlying wheaty sourness. Just enough to remind you that this in fact a beer and not a fruity mixed drink.

Medium body, amply carbonated, and highly drinkable. Overall a decent summer drink, but not really my style.

Blue-Berry Wheat Beer from Alcatraz Brewing Co.