Roggenschnizzle | The Bier Brewery

Style: Roggenbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-18-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9
4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks goes out to my boy aasher for bringing this one down to me when he visited a little while back. He saw I had never had one from this style and hooked me up! Thanks again Al! Served from a plastic growler (similar to a thick wall tall Pepsi bottle, awesome!) into a Warsteiner mug. Poured chocolate brown with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, rye, spices, and dark chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, rye, spices, banana, dark chocolate, wheat, and subtly roasted malt. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation (almost creamy in texture). Overall this was an extremely solid brew. I had no idea what to expect on this one, so I took it over to my buddy's gun store to share it with him and my doppelganger just in case. However, what we found was quite nice and quite complex. The flavors were light, but just the right amount of lightness to make this one an easy drinker, but also satisfy your palate at the same time. Mouthfeel was superb, nothing else to be said there. A definite must try if you get the opportunity as this was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Thanks again for this one Al!

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

As the guys at Bier know, I've been anxiously awaiting their next release of Roggenschnizzle. A tickers dream, a local brewery that covers the occasional obscure style and does so in a quality manner. I picked up this growler four days ago and this batch is 5.8% abv.

It pours a medium bodied dark, dark hazelnut brown in color with a one finger off white head that quickly turned into a light white lacing around my Aecht Schlenkerla snifter. It has a rich cloudiness and features nice turbidity. The aromas are very grainy and feature some soft smoked malt aromas. The malt bill reminds me of those from Aecht Schlenkerla, oddly enough. It has German written all over it with a touch of Bier's house Belgian yeast. The flavors given are of rich grains, light smoked malt, moderate nuttiness, and again their touch of Belgian yeast. It is a very, very easy drinking brew and reminds me strongly of Ayinger's Altbairisch, yet medium in body and a much smoother drink. For the style, you're going to be hard pressed to find a better Roggenbier than this one. Great job by the guys at Bier, this is one of their best works in my opinion.

Roggenschnizzle from The Bier Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.