Joe Brahma Brown Ale | Flat 12 Bierwerks

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Flat 12 Bierwerks
Indiana, United States

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by JamesS on 03-22-2011

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 14
4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

I looked forward to this beer anytime I don't have a growler in the fridge. I could drink this every single day. It's the perfect representation of big flavor yet extremely drinkable. It pours a deep brown that glows amber when you hold it to light, with a tanned creamy head that settles after the first few sips, leaving a nice ring to remind you of it's creaminess.

The nose is of coffee and malt with a slight booziness that, in my opinion, works well with this beer. Everytime I smell it I get excited.

This may be my favorite drinking everyday beer. The coffee is just right and there are roasted elements that I get from the coffee more so than the malt. The malt and creaminess are more balancing elements, the focus is certainly on the java. This is a standalone beer to me and one that works any time of the day. I'm drinking for lunch, I had one for dessert last night. I'll probably wind up polishing off the growler this afternoon.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Dark brown color, off-white head. Head disappears after a few minutes, leaving some nice spots.

Great coffee with cream nose. Some fresh roast, milky notes. A caramel edge. Not much else, but very nice.

Darker malt character, some light toffee notes. A nice coffee feel, a bit of sweetness. Nothing overwhelming, just nice and smooth.

Medium body, with a nice creamy feel. Lighter carbonation. Very easy to drink. Great coffee feel, with some nice creamy touches.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

My first review! Bare with me, please!

Poured from a growler into a tulip.

A: Dark, DARK brown with a tinge of clarity in the light. Not much of a head and it disappears fast.

S: Roasty coffee on the nose, not overwhelming.

T: Coffee and cocoa immediately, with a good lingering taste. Good overall balance that stays.

M: This beer is brewed to be a brown ale/milk stout hybrid. It's the first I've ever had like this so it's hard to compare. It's creamy, but with a healthy amount of carbonation. As far as the mouthfeel goes, I think I would like it to have a bit more stout in it.

O: Like I said, I've never had another like this. That said, I've had brown ales, and I've had milk stouts, and as a hybrid, I like this one a lot. There's a lot of complexity that I haven't really hit on, but it's a smooth and very tasty beer.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

(On tap at Tomlinson Tap Room) Poured a very nice deep brown with some nice head and a bit of nice lacing. Very nice deep scent, with an excellent deep and semi-roasty malt sweetness, along with an interesting (herbal tea?) spiciness. Good flavor, a nice thick brown ale with hints of woodsiness and an interesting herbal spice on the tongue. Goes down well, a decent semi-thick ent draught.

Joe Brahma Brown Ale from Flat 12 Bierwerks