Full Broadside

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 5
2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

On tap tasting at beer festival:
Hoping the pour affected the beer a bit, as it was a bit heady. I get the Bière de Garde hints in the nose, and definitely in the taste, but this particular pour is far from the (admittedly more standard) imported versions I've had.

Appearance is a tad light. There is an amber hue to a dark golden, clear beer. The carbonation sustains quite well, even after the initial heady pour subsided. The smell is almost pure brown sugar, with some raisin and perhaps a bit of date.

The feel is the biggest disappointment, watery with a bit of graininess to it. I will ignore the flatness of this pour, because I think that's a function of the keg. The depth of the flavors is just missing. I get raisin, brown sugar, a bit of woodiness. There's a touch of heat (alcohol?), and a too dry for me for the style, but not bad overall finish.

As stated, if the flavors were backed by some body and depth, I'd probably say this beer was at least ok. This pour was not up to par, but I am at least glad for the effort at a different style.

3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured a copper body with minimal head and lace.
Aroma struck me as having some sweet caramel malt as well as funky but also an oaky, bready, boozy presence.
The beer is smooth yet full, not a quick sipper/drinker, that has this sweetness that I can only really describe as carmale (possible toffee/figs/dark fruit notes as well) and a touch of funkiness.
A little edgy and boozy with a minor alcohol hit on the backend that adds a nice touch to a balanced beer (hop presence is minimal at best).
Can't really nail this beer down but it's big, boozy, sweet and good.

Full Broadside from Reaver Beach Brewing Company