Hop Scotch | Coronado Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Coronado Brewing Company
coronadobrewing.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by tonistruth on 01-28-2008

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm rating this on the perspective of it being a 'hoppy scotch ale'. Comparing it to traditional interpretations of the style, it's disheartening.

Rich, dark brown color. The head is light grayish tan, small and the bubble sizes are inconsistent.

Up front you're hit with a rustic/noble hop aroma and biting bitter in the nose and introductory flavor. Like a dry-hopped porter. I can detect moderate malty sweet elements of a scotch ale in the finish. The flavor transition from start to finish develops like the transition of light from dim-to-bright when opening Venetian blinds with a moderately quick motion. In other words, it switches from one flavor and feel to another rather abruptly.

Has a medium-thick body that leans ever-so-slightly more on the "thinner" side, similar to a porter, than that of a fuller-bodied scotch ale. Wee higher carbonation than maybe necessary.

Hop Scotch was decent. Its name is apt. A hair too much bitter roast from the malt. Not crazy about the additional hop character. I'll stick with more traditional Scotch ales.

3.38/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a dark copper with a thin white head, and some lacing.

smell is of caramel, malt, earth, and a touch of coffee.

taste is of malt, hops, caramel, and a touch of coffee, ends smooth, and a tad bitter.

overall a fine scotch ale, worth the travel to CBC.

3.71/5  rDev -0.5%

Was called "New Scots Ale" at the brewery when I had it. Pours dark copper with no head. Aroma is caramel, malt, and some peaty/earthiness. Good peatiness up front that bleeds into caramel and sweeter malts. Wanted more, but still a pretty good beer.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked this up at the CBC brewery for a $5 fill on sunday, every sunday, all CBC beers....

A- A murky deep brown with a tinge of orange when held up to the light. Fine white head turns into a fine covering.

S- Rich roasted malts, light coffee, light brown sugar

T- Smokey malts, caramel-coffee. Long lasting slight bitterness on the back of the tongue. Finishes with lingering taste of bacon.

M- full body punctuated with fine carbonation.

D- I like this style of beer. A hearty beer indeed. I have a growler, we'll see how long it lasts.

I have to say I think that CBC has really tried to improve their product, and it shows.

3.56/5  rDev -4.6%

A great beer I first tried at last month's Second Saturday at Hamilton's. The whole CBC crew was there and this beer sparked my interest. Just made it into the brewery and picked up a growler of this great brew.

A: Very deep amber red, almost brown and suprisingly less transparent than I thought it would be. A thin tan head lingers and has laced my glass with minature bubbles.

S: A smell of cookie and mild coffee prevail. Aroma isn't strong, but enough to tempt me into taste.

T: Starts lightly sweet and bitter and end with a tad more bitterness. Flavor lasts until next sip.

M: Very coating and brings my mouth to salivation. I enjoy until the end of the glass.

A very good beer. I can't wait to have another.

3.97/5  rDev +6.4%

A- deep mahogany with a 1/2 finger of tan foam, decent retention and some films of lace

S- toasted malts, molasses

T- toasted caramel malts, molasses, toasted grains

S- overall smooth though hops let you know they are there every once and a while

D- solid and drinkable scotch ale, nothing stand out but still a good brew to try

Hop Scotch from Coronado Brewing Company