Banana Split Chocolate Stout | Thomas Creek Brewery

Thomas Creek Brewery
South Carolina, United States
thomascreekbeer.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Dark chocolaty stout with caramel, toffee and roasted malt flavors. Crisp and smooth with distinct banana overtones.

Added by mikesgroove on 01-18-2011

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle bites the dust in today's attempt to eradicate single-O Porters, Stouts & Old Ales from the insidious Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. Did this come to me courtesy of local, in-person trader, tone77? I am willing to give him the credit, since he has a recent review, but mine seems to have been in the queue for a while.

From the bottle: "Forgive us, our transgressions."; "The Atypical Series"; "Stout with dried bananas added". The label depicts a redheaded half-human, half-banana redhead who has already been partially peeled, toasting a satyr with her long, black-gloved right hand. It all looks like a detail from a Breughel painting! I may need a beer to decompress. Also, the grammar suggests something other than biblical. What am I about to unleash? Is this Pandora's bottle? Eeek!

I Pop!ped the cap & sat back, awaiting the apocalyptic arrival, but nothing untoward occurred, so I continued on as best as I could. I was gentle with Banana Babe, but once she was in the glass, I swirled her around like nobody's business. She raised a fuss & a finger of foamy, light-tan head with moderate retention, but she quickly fell away to wisps, leaving me to my own devices. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like the spiced banana bread that I made just before the Thanksgiving break of high school back in 1980. It was Basic Foods, but we had been in the kitchens for a couple of months & now we were being allowed to branch out. The project was Banana Bread, with a core recipe, but we could play with it, if we dared. I stirred in black pepper and cumin into my batter & when it baked, it really got people's attention! Mouthfeel was medium, kind of light for the style. The taste was phenomenal & it all got eaten at the table that year, bolstering my desire to be a cook (actually, a baker). This smelled of spiced chocolate & bananas, a great combination! The taste was all of the above - milk chocolate, bananas & a light spiciness that seemed familiar, but was not readily apparent. Black pepper? No. Cumin? No. More like a light curry. OMFG! Curry on bananas? With chocolate?!? You could win on Food Network with that combination! I suddenly have the urge to bake a loaf of Chocolate Curry Banana Bread. Finish was semi-dry, mostly due to the spiciness that I was getting. Oh, let's do this again, real soon!

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

My first offering from Thomas Creek and it ain't too bad attall...

When I saw this at my local liquor store I just couldn't pass it up, and now that I have had it, I am glad I didn't, though it wasn't as spectacular as I had hoped. The beer looked great from the get-go - beautifully black, tan head, very good lacing - it started off as very special. The scent had just enough of a hint of bananas (which I love) that got me even more excited. But then I experienced the mouthfeel - though medium bodied, there was an awfully bitter aftertaste, enough to detract from the overall pleasantness of the beer. I did enjoy this, and I will keep an eye out for more in the future, but I certainly wasn't 'wowed' as I had hoped.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, banana. Taste is roasted malts, some banana, very light chocolate. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, I was hoping for more chocolate and banana, but still a good beer.

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Creamy,khaki colored,1 finger head with nice retention.Black in color,with no light showing through the glass.

On the nose I get banana and chocolate (banana split).Backed by some dark roasted malts.

The palate follows the nose,banana,chocolate,and dark roasted malts.

The body is medium / heavy,with a dry finish.

This is an excellent dry stout!!! Dry stouts aren't typically my favorite,but this one rocks!!!Not sure how this one got labeled a "sweet stout"...To me this is definitely. DRY STOUT.

4.14/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thin dark brown beer with a quickly fading head. Nice banana and chocolate aroma. Nice banana and chocolate flavor with a bit of char bitterness. Really does a good job of copying a banana split.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours dark, near black, with cola brown edging. Cocoa powder colored head that peaks at just under a finger's width. Sub-par retention, dissipating rather quickly to reveal a thin, broken layer of suds across the surface. No lacing.

Smell - Strong fudgy notes. Lesser nuttiness. A bit of roasted malt. Faint banana.

Taste - Almost the opposite of the nose. Very little fudge flavor; so-so chocolate character. Banana character flashes and fades rather quickly. Lots of roast malt by mid-taste and plenty of earthiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Near full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy enough, with a slightly dry finish.

Overall - A fair attempt at what must be a difficult concept to pull off. Banana split? Not so much, and though some of the basic flavors are there, they never come together to deliver the promise on the label. A bit too earthy, while the 'dessert' flavors you'd expect are fairly distant. In all it's not a terrible beer, but don't expect it to taste anything like the banana split you'd order from your favorite Ice Cream parlor.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

My husband purchased this beer because he's a sucker for pretty much anything banana flavored. But he couldn't drink much of his bottle, so me, the champ, drank the rest. It wasn't a horrible stout but I didn't get much banana flavor. Our bottle was also very silty. After seeing all of the particulates in there, we both kind of lost our appetite for this beer. I read the bottle label and it says it's a stout with dried banana added. The tiny bits were banana pieces which you could feel as you drink it. Being the champ that I am, I did finish the bottle but after filtering it through a fine mesh strainer. Maybe it was just a bad bottle we got?

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%

2.84/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I find this one needs more bananas just doesn't work for me

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: Dark brown/black with a light brown head
S: Banana notes, with a sweet caramel, more noticeable when it warms up
T: Sweet but not overly sweet, banana is not as pronounced as I would like it to be
F: A really good feel, doesn't coat the mouth with sweetness, and doesn't linger too long.
O: Pretty good, would definitely like more banana but overall a good brew. Would probably have again if I could find it on tap

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.15/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque dark brown color with khaki colored head. Banana, chocolate, and some roasted malt on the nose; follows onto the palate. Full bodied. Finishes with banana and cocoa. Different, but not bad.

4.46/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap at the brewery into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark brown color with a small white head. The aroma is sweet malt, chocolate and banana. The taste matched the aroma. A very good beer.

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a Belgian snifter where the very dark brown body was opaque and topped by a short head that soon reduced to a thin ring and partial top coat.

Aroma: pleasing but hard to describe beyond some chocolate and faint banana.

Flavor: chocolate, bananas in various stages of ripeness, and baked bread made with dark roasted grains - i that order of strength. Lightly and appropriately sweet: likely to be less sweet than most will expect.

Feel: very smooth; creamy and soft but with good light carbonation.

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%