Banana Split Chocolate Stout

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Banana Split Chocolate StoutBanana Split Chocolate Stout
Notes: Dark chocolaty stout with caramel, toffee and roasted malt flavors. Crisp and smooth with distinct banana overtones.

Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 171 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
mothmanscott from Georgia

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This bottle from an an aged, cellared example purchased in 2016 (could not find a "bottled on" date).

Pours a very dark brown to the point of appearing shoe polish black. I can't get light bright enough & properly oriented to tell if it's clear but it appears to be opaque with particulates. The pour produces slightly more than a finger of frothy, mocha, rapidly diminishing head that leaves a very thin surface layer & collar. No appreciable lacing. Aroma is dark malt, chocolate, toffee, roast, a hint of thin banana & a faint hint of anise/licorice & spice. Taste is Tootsie Roll & dark chocolate, burnt dark bread & a slight sour note with hints of banana, dark fruit, smoke & spice. Hop presence is minimal but perhaps best defined as an earthy bitterness in the finish & aftertaste. Aftertaste is earthy, bitter, burnt malt, chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy bodied, with low-moderate carbonation, silky & tongue coating & grainy/prickly. Good but in the average sort of way. I was a little disappointed in what I expected from the "banana split" expectations evoked by the name. Banana is very weak. Hopefully this was not a result of the cellaring.

Nov 23, 2017
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.5/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle bites the dust in today's attempt to eradicate single-O Porters, Stouts & Old Ales from the insidious Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. Did this come to me courtesy of local, in-person trader, tone77? I am willing to give him the credit, since he has a recent review, but mine seems to have been in the queue for a while.

From the bottle: "Forgive us, our transgressions."; "The Atypical Series"; "Stout with dried bananas added". The label depicts a redheaded half-human, half-banana redhead who has already been partially peeled, toasting a satyr with her long, black-gloved right hand. It all looks like a detail from a Breughel painting! I may need a beer to decompress. Also, the grammar suggests something other than biblical. What am I about to unleash? Is this Pandora's bottle? Eeek!

I Pop!ped the cap & sat back, awaiting the apocalyptic arrival, but nothing untoward occurred, so I continued on as best as I could. I was gentle with Banana Babe, but once she was in the glass, I swirled her around like nobody's business. She raised a fuss & a finger of foamy, light-tan head with moderate retention, but she quickly fell away to wisps, leaving me to my own devices. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like the spiced banana bread that I made just before the Thanksgiving break of high school back in 1980. It was Basic Foods, but we had been in the kitchens for a couple of months & now we were being allowed to branch out. The project was Banana Bread, with a core recipe, but we could play with it, if we dared. I stirred in black pepper and cumin into my batter & when it baked, it really got people's attention! Mouthfeel was medium, kind of light for the style. The taste was phenomenal & it all got eaten at the table that year, bolstering my desire to be a cook (actually, a baker). This smelled of spiced chocolate & bananas, a great combination! The taste was all of the above - milk chocolate, bananas & a light spiciness that seemed familiar, but was not readily apparent. Black pepper? No. Cumin? No. More like a light curry. OMFG! Curry on bananas? With chocolate?!? You could win on Food Network with that combination! I suddenly have the urge to bake a loaf of Chocolate Curry Banana Bread. Finish was semi-dry, mostly due to the spiciness that I was getting. Oh, let's do this again, real soon!

Mar 27, 2017
jjamadorphd from Florida

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

My first offering from Thomas Creek and it ain't too bad attall...

When I saw this at my local liquor store I just couldn't pass it up, and now that I have had it, I am glad I didn't, though it wasn't as spectacular as I had hoped. The beer looked great from the get-go - beautifully black, tan head, very good lacing - it started off as very special. The scent had just enough of a hint of bananas (which I love) that got me even more excited. But then I experienced the mouthfeel - though medium bodied, there was an awfully bitter aftertaste, enough to detract from the overall pleasantness of the beer. I did enjoy this, and I will keep an eye out for more in the future, but I certainly wasn't 'wowed' as I had hoped.

Feb 20, 2017
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, banana. Taste is roasted malts, some banana, very light chocolate. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall, I was hoping for more chocolate and banana, but still a good beer.

Jan 08, 2017
DraconusDesanctus666 from Florida

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle,into a Funky Buddha snifter.

Creamy,khaki colored,1 finger head with nice retention.Black in color,with no light showing through the glass.

On the nose I get banana and chocolate (banana split).Backed by some dark roasted malts.

The palate follows the nose,banana,chocolate,and dark roasted malts.

The body is medium / heavy,with a dry finish.

This is an excellent dry stout!!! Dry stouts aren't typically my favorite,but this one rocks!!!Not sure how this one got labeled a "sweet stout"...To me this is definitely. DRY STOUT.

Jan 01, 2017
FriedSlug from North Carolina

4.14/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thin dark brown beer with a quickly fading head. Nice banana and chocolate aroma. Nice banana and chocolate flavor with a bit of char bitterness. Really does a good job of copying a banana split.

Dec 23, 2016
TheSixthRing from California

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours dark, near black, with cola brown edging. Cocoa powder colored head that peaks at just under a finger's width. Sub-par retention, dissipating rather quickly to reveal a thin, broken layer of suds across the surface. No lacing.

Smell - Strong fudgy notes. Lesser nuttiness. A bit of roasted malt. Faint banana.

Taste - Almost the opposite of the nose. Very little fudge flavor; so-so chocolate character. Banana character flashes and fades rather quickly. Lots of roast malt by mid-taste and plenty of earthiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Near full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Goes down easy enough, with a slightly dry finish.

Overall - A fair attempt at what must be a difficult concept to pull off. Banana split? Not so much, and though some of the basic flavors are there, they never come together to deliver the promise on the label. A bit too earthy, while the 'dessert' flavors you'd expect are fairly distant. In all it's not a terrible beer, but don't expect it to taste anything like the banana split you'd order from your favorite Ice Cream parlor.

Nov 03, 2016
iheartmyTHO from Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%

My husband purchased this beer because he's a sucker for pretty much anything banana flavored. But he couldn't drink much of his bottle, so me, the champ, drank the rest. It wasn't a horrible stout but I didn't get much banana flavor. Our bottle was also very silty. After seeing all of the particulates in there, we both kind of lost our appetite for this beer. I read the bottle label and it says it's a stout with dried banana added. The tiny bits were banana pieces which you could feel as you drink it. Being the champ that I am, I did finish the bottle but after filtering it through a fine mesh strainer. Maybe it was just a bad bottle we got?

Jun 08, 2016
WonderNerd15 from Georgia

3.96/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: Dark brown/black with a light brown head
S: Banana notes, with a sweet caramel, more noticeable when it warms up
T: Sweet but not overly sweet, banana is not as pronounced as I would like it to be
F: A really good feel, doesn't coat the mouth with sweetness, and doesn't linger too long.
O: Pretty good, would definitely like more banana but overall a good brew. Would probably have again if I could find it on tap

May 03, 2016
TX-Badger from Texas

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque dark brown color with khaki colored head. Banana, chocolate, and some roasted malt on the nose; follows onto the palate. Full bodied. Finishes with banana and cocoa. Different, but not bad.

Feb 26, 2016
ordybill from Georgia

4.46/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the tap at the brewery into a pint glass. The appearance is a dark brown color with a small white head. The aroma is sweet malt, chocolate and banana. The taste matched the aroma. A very good beer.

Feb 08, 2016
chinchill from South Carolina

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle into a Belgian snifter where the very dark brown body was opaque and topped by a short head that soon reduced to a thin ring and partial top coat.

Aroma: pleasing but hard to describe beyond some chocolate and faint banana.

Flavor: chocolate, bananas in various stages of ripeness, and baked bread made with dark roasted grains - i that order of strength. Lightly and appropriately sweet: likely to be less sweet than most will expect.

Feel: very smooth; creamy and soft but with good light carbonation.

Jan 27, 2016
ajilllau from Florida

3.08/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer had a nice dark look to it and smelled of bananas and chocolate. However, I did not like the taste. I did not taste chocolates or bananas, just a bitter malt. I would not drink again.

Dec 08, 2015
bmeehan from Pennsylvania

3.32/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I didn't know what exactly to expect from this beer, but I did expect to at least taste banana or chocolate. I tasted neither. It tasted more like a typical stout, rich and a little bitter. Not a bad beer, but disappointing nonetheless.

Nov 22, 2015
ArchimedesSox from Georgia

4.16/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark, black, opaque, thin khaki head,

S: Banana, bubble gum

T: Banana, bitter chocolate, sweet malts

M: Medium, heat from alcohol

O: A good sweet stout. I really like the banana in this. Something different that really works for me.

Oct 26, 2015
Axnjxn from North Carolina

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

draft at beer study in chapel hill

dark black pour, mild head. smell is straight up bananas...a ton of bananas..wow. taste doesnt quite follow suit. you get a bit of banana but a lot of malts and a very good amount of bitterness. body is a tad light for the style.

overall better than i was expecting but still not that great...okay beer.

Apr 02, 2014
IronLover from Pennsylvania

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

Deep dark brown in color. Poured with a thick beige foam that reduced to a wispy cap the left sticky lacings on the glass. Dark roasted malt and chocolate aromas with definitive banana aromas and hints of coffee at the end. Medium bodied with a smooth feel. Roasted malt flavors up front with chocoalte and banana in tow. Sweet chocolate through the middle transitions to roasted malt and coffe flavora at the end. Finishes with sweet banana and chocolate flavors. Overall the flavor was pretty sweet, but was relatively complex. The sweetness was not so much that it would prevent me from having it again.

Sep 14, 2013
Stinkypuss from Pennsylvania

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Thomas Creek Banana Split Stout

Pours dark brown bordering on black. Off white head forms and leaves a good bit of lace. Aroma of banana candies and a nip of coffee. Like a banana runt. In the flavor, roasted malts and a mild hoppy bitterness, quickly subsiding to a finish of chocolate covered bananas. Reminds me in flavor of the mexican banana chocolate lollypops i used to get in Spanish class back in the day. Very candy like but good, the artificial quality works here. Full bodied feel with a light-medium carbonation. Overall, this was interesting. I'd have it again.

May 18, 2013
TheDinger from South Carolina

3.94/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Growler fill from GBX. Had to try this alone on the name. 100th beer review. Poured into DR Snifter and it's an attractive bold/deep brown, nearly black pour with a small off white head. Smell is right up front bananas. I pick up a little chocolate and dark malts, but aroma is dominated by banana. Taste is a bit more chocolate and unfortunately, the banana is hidden. Also get the dark fruits and some nut/earth. Feel is adequate. A bit dry and undercarbonated. Overall- A little bit confusing. I get the strong banana in the aroma and the big chocolate in the taste. Would have like them blended a bit more. It's a unique beer and worth the try. I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm a little underwhelmed-

Feb 24, 2013
corby112 from Pennsylvania

Draft at Capones in Norristown, PA.

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a one finger beige head that slowly settles into a lasting ting. Splotchy lacing left behind.

Sweet chocolate malt aroma that's balanced out by the banana and subtle roast character.  Very desert like with lots of chocolate, banana and vanilla bean countered by lightly roasted coffee bean, burnt toast and oatmeal.  Smells somewhat artificial but is still very inviting.

Medium bodied with a really strong sweet dessert presence.  Lots of vanilla, whip cream and especially banana.  There's even some cherry and chocolate ice cream flavor with subtle roast underneath.  Faint hints of coffee bean, oatmeal and burnt toast.  Really good dessert beer but very sweet and one dimensional.  I can see how some people would find this unappealing or too gimmicky but I really enjoyed it for what it was.

Feb 18, 2013
Damian74 from South Carolina

3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Growler poured into a Chalice.
A-pitch black with 1 finger beige head that dissipates quickly.
S-Chocolate, slight banana, raisins, coffee
T-Sweet malts, chocolate,coffee
M-Medium/full body with full carbonation
O- Cool idea. Not bad tasting. Was hoping for a little more banana flavor but understand that comes from the yeast, and to much yeast causes off flavors. Anyways would get again.

Feb 09, 2013
macrosmatic from Florida

3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to dogdoc for this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a CCB pint glass.

A: Dark brown to black, not quite opaque, with low visible carbonation, and only a half-finger's worth of tan head.

S: Chocolate and roasty malts. But overall the amount of aroma seems low. Maybe just a smidge of fruitiness if I work at it.

T: Roasty malts, sweet chocolate, some sweet fruitiness, with just a touch of smoke near the end.

M: Fairly light-bodied and thin for a stout, a nice smooth mouthfeel. Moderate alcohol presence.

O: Not a bad beer, but it has a few flaws. The amount of aroma could be increased, and the body needs more substance. I couldn't get much clear banana flavor out of this, but at least the fruitiness seemed organic, and not artificial or cloying. But I think I'll give some good points for creativity.

Feb 03, 2013
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

4.04/5  rDev +8.6%

This poured out as a nice looking black beer with a brown colored head on top. The retention and lacing was decent. The smell of the beer gives off a big banana aroma, there is also a big amount of chocolate on the nose too and some sweetness of the malt as well. The taste of the beer is sweet, it's loaded with chocolate and banana just like the nose. It's got a touch of roasted nuts in the finish but upfront it's very sweet. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, moderate carbonation on this one. Overall I think that a serving of this beer should be on the smaller side and should be served as a night cap due to it's dessert like quality. I wouldn't drink an entire bottle of this, the 5oz. I had today was more than enough to get the idea of what this beer had to offer.

Nov 24, 2012
Jamesthebrit from Michigan

2.89/5  rDev -22.3%

A: Medium vicoscity... pretty much zero head. Color is super dark black.

S: A bit of banana is in there for sure. Some chocolate bitterness. A bit of sweetness.... Some alcohol comes through.

T: Seems a bit out of balance. Got some banana, chocolate, coffee, but then theres a spice note. Alcohol comes through a lot I think due to how thin the beer is. Not bad but not great. An uncontrolled bittereness which usually happens with chocolate beers.

M: Very light. Aggressive carbonation. Poor flavor development. The weakest point of this beer.

Overall this is a pretty average beer. It has some nice banana but otherwise it way out of balance. Also it's so thin It's hard to drink at times. There is also a spiciness to it which is severely out of place. I'd pass on this one.

Ok I had to come back as my beer warmed to edit this review. This beer got so sour and acidic as it warmed it was impossible to finish and down the drain half my growler went (it was only a 32 oz so don't judge!) Seriously bad.

Nov 10, 2012
cvm4 from Mississippi

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark body with a thin 1 finger head. Not much lacing.

S - Sweet milk chocolate, slight licorice to the nose. I can detect some bananas.

T - Roasted malts with chocolate syrup. Banana comes in at the end. Not a grand introduction by all means. Not getting many other flavors.

M - Medium bodied, with medium carbonation.

O - Was good, not great. Banana wasn't a stand out like I thought it should be. You could still taste it though.

Jul 29, 2012