Wanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper Beer | Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Company

good
Wanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper BeerWanted: Joaquin Murrieta Chile Pepper Beer

Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Company
tioga-sequoia.com

Style: Chile Beer

Brewed with Fresno Chile Peppers.

Added by DovaliHops on 05-04-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.67/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance got the highest rating by default, as I still drink my beer straight from the bottle. Before trying this beer, I read a review that likened the smell to vomit, and that is not entirely inaccurate. I can detect some faint chile notes in the smell, though. It has a somewhat light body, and is also light on carbonation, for a pretty good mouth-feel. When tasting this beer, I get neither hops nor malts, but straight chile peppers. If you think even the mild sauce at Taco Bell is way too hot, you'll definitely want to pass this one right on by! The chile heat kicks you a little hard in the throat right after you swallow a sip. I don't mind a little chile kick (I am from Fresno, after all), but I'm still on the fence as to whether I want it in my beer. This was the first time I've tried chile beer. If I try another beer of this type again, it will definitely be while eating some Mexican food.

3.99/5  rDev +18.8%

Type: 22-oz. bottle
Glass: Clear 9-oz. plastic cup
From: Liquor King in Fresno, Calif.
Price: $3.99
Purchased: March 31, 2016
Consumed: March 31, 2016
Misc.: No BOD on bottle

Definitely interested in this one, but afraid of it being too spicy. At least was only $3.99 for a 22-oz. bomber.

Poured a surprising golden, pale, semi-clear color with uneven, fluffy white head. Lots of bubble streams coming up from the bottom of the glass. Good layered foamy lacing (thanks plastic up!). Good retention. (Sight - 4.00)

Smelled a funky mix of spicy chiles, tomatoes and vomit. Spicy chiles are staying in the nose forever. This one might hurt. (Smell - 3.75)

Taste wasn’t as spicy I thought, but still pretty spicy (although I am a wimp when it comes to spices). Got chiles, tomato paste, chile beans, kidney beans and chili peppers. Digging this as it goes down. Feeling the spices on the lips and nose. (Taste - 4.00)

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Long, spicy finish. (Feel - 4.50)

Really liked this one, especially as it went down. Very spicy, but manageable. Would have it again for sure. (Overall - 4.00)

3.99 | 89 | B+

4.77/5  rDev +42%

I've had this beer on tap and in the bomber many times. It's one of my favorite beers. This beer on tap has a slightly crisper feel and has a little more chile heat than the bottle. The chili bite mellows out a little in the bottle. I've tasted chili beers that were too spicy , but this one has just the right amount for me. Most other people that I know that tried it thought it was too hot, so avoid this one if you don't like your chilis really hot. If you like it hot, pair this with your favorite Mexican food. IT'S AMAZING!

2.4/5  rDev -28.6%

Not sure what to say about this one. It's probably a very good example of a style that I just don't like at all.

Poured from a chilled 22 oz bottle into a pub glass. I tilted the glass and poured maybe three ounces in before something seemed funny and I lifted the glass straight up to look at it.

All three ounces had turned to two inches of foam. No liquid on the bottom. Weird.

Carefully and slowly poured the glass full. The two inch head lasted forever and smelled like hotsauce without the vinegar. Eventually I scooped out most of the head with a spoon so I could try the beer. All I tasted was hot chili. Feel was like a light lager. Lotsa danged heat.

I hate to use the word hate, but I hated this. Not my thing. If it's yours, it's probably awesome.

2.96/5  rDev -11.9%

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A little too heavy on the chili for my liking.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a slight orangish red, looks like a mix between a pale ale and a red ale, decent lingering head that left decent lacing. Smell is just pure chili peppers, was hoping to find a little other aspects to it but the chile's are so dominant. Taste wasn't as bad as I was expecting but it is tough to drink, pure chile peppers and that is it. This would be a great beer to cook with but it's tough to drink. The mouthfeel was very oily but it was light and that made it easier to bare. Overall this is not my kind of beer, if you love chile's then you will love this beer.

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

3.66/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into an imperial tulip pint. Hazy dark straw body with a massive fizzy and foamy off-white head. The head quickly settles to a light crown with no lacing.

Aroma is massively peppers. The description says Serrano, Fresno, Habanero, and Jalapeño; one can pick out all of these individually. Any malts, hops, or yeast in the aroma are instantly overpowered, aside from a faint, light, generic graininess.

The haziness suggests some wheat content, but I definitely can neither smell nor taste it. Pale malts and a slight earthiness underneath the peppers, which are still dominant but not as overpowering as in the nose.

Crisp, reasonably carbonated light-medium mouthfeel which helps cut the spice a bit.

I enjoy the peppers/spice in this beer, but it is overpowering enough to completely crush any other flavors. The multiple types of peppers give it a little complexity which is definitely appreciated. It's hot, but not to the point of undrinkabilitiy. Overall, it's a decent chili beer, but it falls just a little short. It's worth a shot if you're a fan of the style or have adventurous tastes, but a lot of beer drinkers would probably be turned off.

great Chile beer I've tried.

right amount of Chile and hop.

ended up being my favorite beer.

its organic imported wheat non genetically modified.

looking forward to trying it on tap.

smells spicy and makes your mouth water if you like spicy stuff and chasing it down with a nice cold beer.

had my favorite chili mixed with my favorite drink heck yes best combo ever

1.75/5  rDev -47.9%

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

4.4/5  rDev +31%

Had this while camping in Yosemite for my honeymoon. Bottle to camp mug, pours a light gold, smells like fresh sliced peppers. The thin head dissipates into nice lace around the top. Flavor is straight up chilies, but not overly spicy, in fact, its just perfect for my taste. I have had many pepper beers seeing as how i live so close to BP in San Diego. I have had a Habanero Sculpin that had almost no pepper taste and was disappointing, and had a habanero piper down that i couldn't get down! But this beer has a small amount of heat and full pepper flavor. If you like peppers and spice, grab this beer. If you cant handle even a little heat, be warned.

On-tap at the brewpub. Pint glass.

A: Served a dark amber color with a thin white film of a head.
S: Spicy peppery dominate the nose followed by faint notes of pale grainy malt. Peppery are fresh smelling as opposed to roasted.
T: Burning spicy pepper heat over a clean pale lager base. Pale malts poke through near the finish but the aftertaste has a long lingering chili burn.
M: Medium body, fizzy carbonation, clean and drinkable mouthfeel, but definitely a chore to drink.
O: If you like heat in your beverage then this is the beer for you. Not as drinkable or as complex as other chili beers I've had, but a good example of a spicy lager.

2.25/5  rDev -33%