Theory And Reality

Notes: Galaxy hops
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 16 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am suddenly CANspired to wrap up my dealings with St. Boniface this evening. I have had a number of their beers come to light out of the backlog here at Chez Woody, but they feel CANpelled to shame me for not having gotten to them sooner. Fine, if you only want me to get to your beers right away, let me know now so that I CAN avoid buying them for the foreseeable future. No problem. The CANQuest (tm) will chug along without you just fine, thanks.

From the CAN: Well, this was just genius. Dark Grey lettering on a gloss/shiny Black background!?! Sheesh. I CAN't read anything. 8=( See approved pic for details.

I Crack!ed open the vent on this latest usual suspect & when met with a spritz across my fingertips, I knew my course of action. I then beCAN a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. It foamed up nicely of its own accord to form just under two fingers of dense, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head that acted like both a cap and a barrier to my taking a sip until it finally abated. Color was an oh-so-slightly-cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose was a fruity mélange, ranging from peach and apricot into the tropical spectrum of mango, papaya, guava & passionfruit. Mmm. I usually am not a fan of the tropical AIPAs at this point, having weathered the deluge, but when they are met with other flavors, I CAN still get excited. Mouthfeel was medium, about on par for an AIPA. The flavors were actually much more in line with my preference with a pronounced bitterness. There was a good deal of grapefruit in there to offset the sweeter fruitiness that I noted on the nose. Mmm. The CANbination of all of these variegated fruits added up to something quite unexpected & quite pleasant. I would be very curious to know the IBUS & they may be printed on the label, but the label just looks like somebody's poorly-done or embarrassing tattoo coverup. 8=( Finish was dry, bitter & just my thing! G**da*n them for having forced me into a boycott! I really liked this, but I will not be buying any of their beers for the foreseeable future. YMMV.

Oct 24, 2019
peepicheep from Pennsylvania

3.54/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have the advantage of St. Boniface being right down the road from where I work and it's usually where you'll find me at lunch time on Friday's. This gives me the chance to try many of their beers. Yes, a terrible burden but I feel up to it. As an overall brewery rating I give them at least a 4. Individual beers are another matter and that is always to your individual taste. All these reviews are at best an informed opinion. I leave the details to the other reviewers. I agree with what has been reported. For me, it all comes down to taste. Listed as an IPA on the board, it certainly checks that box. Do I like IPA'S. Yes. Do I like this beer? A qualified yes. Why the qualification? As others have noted, the bitterness is the defining quality of this brew. Bitter without some tempering of citrus is what I got out of this beer. Yes, others did get citrus. Today I couldn't find it. Recommend with reservations.

Jul 05, 2019
TheIPAHunter from Pennsylvania

2.92/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

The pour is champagne gold when held to the light; in a natural setting it looks like apple cider vinegar. Tight white bubbles ascend to the upper reaches of the glass, while a very thin layer of skeletal white foam rests at the top of the pour. Lacing is present, albeit minimal & spotty. The smell doesn't scream Galaxy, and this is a problem for me. Maybe I'm jaded living in NE for so long, but I've had far better representations of this style. I have no issues with a cornucopia bouquet when it's balanced; this one, however, is all over the place. To be fair, I get a mixture of lemon, bread, syrupy malt, Granny Smith apple, a tinge of grapefruit, excess sugar, and strong alcohol vapor despite the 6.7% abv. Taste follows the nose to the point that it highlights myriad sugary, syrupy byproduct of an IPA gone wrong. I let the beer warm to see what other flavors I could pull, getting the faintest of pineapple on the back end. The beer finishes with tongue-smacking bitterness, and low-to-medium carbonation. This is actually the best part of the beer. I'm going to keep it simple, folks. IPA is the popular style right now, and a ton of people are doing it. This beer does nothing to separate itself from an already watered down market. I hope the folks at St. Boniface are brewing other styles, and I hope they have more tricks up their sleeve. This is akin to a painter throwing a bunch of colors on the canvas and calling it art. At $14.99 for a 4-pack, I expect more. I can get Sip of Sunshine for that price. This is not art; this is mediocre.

Jan 16, 2018
beerthulhu from New Jersey

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

-On tap @ location served in pint.

A: A pale lemon colored body shows a complete lack of carbonation. A small skim off white head is quick to dissipate offering no lacing to the pint glass.

S: The nose was moderate in strength, some light apricot juice and peaches being the most distinguishable. There's some citra like scents and fruity tones, but a bit generic in sense.

T: The flavor had a nice clean level of bitterness, slightly dry and bready. Citra like flavor from the galaxy hops, lightly dry and flowery mingle with some tropical sense of pineapples and mangoes. There is a decent dry hop bite on the swallow.

M: Mouthful was light, oily, no carbonation detection and had a dry finish.

O: A nicely clean brew, a bit of dry hopping on the finish. First impression of galaxy hops was a bit low on the nose, but good for the flavor. Dry fruitiness that continues through out the drink finishes as good as it started. The spectrum of the galaxy hops was good, easy drinking from the tap.

Jan 02, 2018
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Light golden and completely see through with a decent white head. Sweet tropical nose which is mostly citric in nature and fairly potent. Sweet then bitter citrus and a malty ending. The bitterness fairly prominent on this one. Thicker feel with gentle carbonation which works with this beer. This is pretty good but my tastes have moved more to the juicy NEIPA style that focuses less on bitterness. Thanks again to my bro-in-law Todd for this one. This beer does grow on me though, maybe I've been a bit harsh.

Dec 29, 2017
citizencane from Pennsylvania

3.99/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours darker orange with minimal head with lasting rim into pint glass. Smell is tropical and dried fruits and some malt. Taste is candies fruits and malt. Feel is refreshing and drinkable with some stickiness. Can is 3 weeks old. This is really good. Will have again if available. Can’t image how amazing this would be the same day it’s brewed.

Dec 15, 2017