Cognac Barrel Noir

4.04 | pDev: 8.66%
From:
Almanac Beer Co.

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Cognac Barrel NoirCognac Barrel Noir
Notes: This very limited release is our love letter to barrel aging. We started with a huge imperial stout brewed with a selection of our favorite dark-roasted malts. Then we aged the beer for over a year in Rémy Martin Cognac puncheons—double sized oak barrels—where the beer breathed in the rich oak, vanilla and Cognac aromatics of the barrels, resulting in this contemplative black ale, overflowing with bold coffee, chocolate and brandy flavors.
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 40 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.73/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Dark black with a two finger brown foamy head.
Cognac on the nose.
A boozy mess with lots of slightly sour cognac and dry wood c rt owding out the beer flavors. Full body. I prefer bourbon to cognac, but that wouldn, have helped. Tasted as if it were aged too long in fresh cognac barrels.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The aroma offers sweet cognac, and milk chocolate.

The flavor hits of bitter chocolate and cacao, an intense oak quality, a sweet cognac flavor, caramel, rich roasted malt throughout.

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed sipping on this one...not sure the price for this particular bottle was justified, but I was lucky to receive it as a gift. Both this and the Tequila Barrel Noir are top-notch and must-trys for lovers of barrel-aged stouts.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Gotham black...dark as the night sky with a decent dark tan head. Smell is kinda boring, like it is trying to hide how good it is. Taste is dark chocolate, followed by a bit of booze, with a nice biscuit finish....a few minutes after sipping this beer, I realize I've had this lingering taste in my mouth before, it was after eating my grandmother's fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. This beer has that perfect consistency, just enough thickness (similar to a melted milk shake)...almost bordering on too thin, which makes it dangerously drinkable. I want 5 more bottles of this beer, it's that good. Unfortunately, it's the only one I got and now it's gone.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle: This was a smooth imperial stout with an under powering smell but a nice bold taste with notes of chocolate and cherries. This came to me as a gift but I wish I could get a second bottle.

4.31/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance; The tan head builds, at the outset, into equal proportions with the black liquid; retention is pretty good and the lacing is streaky

Smell: Dark chocolate, scorched toast, vanilla cream, coffee, oak and cognac; smoky overtones

Taste: Roasty, at first, with the chocolate, coffee and vanilla cream tones building; by mid-palate, the cognac barrel influence appears and builds through the finish; some burnt tones linger in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with moderate carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Overall: I think this is a fantastic beer as I really enjoy the impact of the cognac barrels on the base stout; the aftertaste knocked the taste score down for me by .25 as I was almost going to rank the beer somewhat higher

Cognac Barrel Noir from Almanac Beer Co.
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 40 ratings