Not My Department

n/a
Not My DepartmentNot My Department
Notes: Style India Pale Lager with Fruit
Color Cloudy Pale Gold

I don’t know who gave the green-light for this project, but prepare yourself for a punch in the mouth. We’ve got a passionfruit and mango lager for your drinking enjoyment. Maybe we should’ve gone with Jazzed and Juicy, but hey – That’s Not My Department…

Available in February 2019 in 16oz tallboys (4-pack cans) & on draft in the District and limited markets.

Tasting Notes:
Further additions of Amarillo hops will leave you mouth waterin’, lip smackin’, and chop lickin’ for more. Drink this one ASAP!
2.55/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Lager? I get caramel, toffee and dank pine resin that's a little woody. The fruit is minimal, with maybe a hint of Smarties, but there's even a little bit of booze. I don't get how this is remotely in the realm of any kind of lager...except maybe a stale West Coast IPA style lager. Did they send a stale keg to one of the most visible beer festivals in the beer geek universe?

3.71/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is slightly hazy golden yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that settled down, leaving a wide collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of passionfruit are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has light to moderately strong flavors of passionfruit. No bitterness is perceptible, although there are just enough hops to mask any apparent sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and clean on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This lager is very crushable and not a bad selection if you are a fan of passionfruit.

Serving type: can

2.73/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from tallboy. Amber, no head, looks a bit watery. Not much aroma, a hint of citrus. This beer tastes like a sour beer crossed with a cider. The passionfruit is dominant with a bit of orange, other citrus, and mango. Undifferentiated malt and hops are obscured by the passionfruit, which overpowers and lingers. The marketing calls it a “punch in the mouth” and it’s not wrong. Lightly effervescent and clean finish other than the passionfruit. I like sour and maybe it was the context in which I was drinking it but this one was not for me.

Not My Department from DC Brau Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3 out of 5 with 3 ratings