Sweet Stout | Cape May Brewing Company

Cape May Brewing Company
New Jersey, United States
capemaybrewery.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

A very dark, sweet, full-bodied, slightly roasty ale that gives a distant taste of chocolate covered coffee beans. Not to be confused with the ubiquitous Irish dry stout, our version is a complex balance of flavors and that has a residual sweetness from a higher mash temperature.

Added by Ahoyhoyindeed on 01-04-2012

3.97/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

4.81/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My wife's the Stout drinker in our family; I almost always drink IPA's, but I do like to sample her stouts. We were fortunate to first taste this beer in Cape May (perhaps the ambience made it taste even better ;-) ). Anyhow, this one lived up to its billing: "...taste of chocolate covered coffee beans." Many stouts now seem to stress this combination of chocolate and coffee, but we really seem to have tasted both in this beer.

Not very easy to get down to Cape May, and their distribution is rather limited, so we look forward to our next trip down there to taste this Sweet Stout.

2.75/5  rDev -37.2%

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

4.22/5  rDev -3.7%

Visited the brewery and bought a growler for New Years 2012 down at my in-laws in Cape May. Great aroma, very dark with a hint of chestnut, nice tan/brown head that dissipates about 10mins after pour (as stouts should). Though this is a sweet stout, it's not overly sweet like some milk stouts which use lactose - I recently had the Weyerbacher Sierra and could barely finish it due to the overwhelming sweetness, though obviously this is a personal preference. Even though my father-in-law and wife are not dark beer drinkers, they both positively devoured this beer, making me wish I had bought two growlers :(

Another winner for Cape May Brewing Company imho

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

In keeping in line with the Cape May line, this is a very tasty and enjoyable session-style beer. It's technical style is a sweet stout, which is described better than I can do here: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php#1b It's a great beer, just like everything Cape May Brewing Company makes!

Sweet Stout from Cape May Brewing Company