Sorry Chicky

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Sorry ChickySorry Chicky
Notes: At Burley Oak, we love our sour beers! We also love all the aromas you get from our IPA’s. By dry hopping this lacto-happy beer, we’ve created an extreme sensory experience.

Reviews: 51 | Ratings: 223 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.43/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to CanConPhilly for this one. 12oz can poured into 12oz tulip. Poured a very cloudy yellow color, with about 1/2 inch of white head that had no retention or lacing.

A tart scent had the lead in the aroma, with some floral hops and light grain underneath. Very similar on the tongue, with the tart/sourness lingering pleasantly on the finish.

The body was light, crisp, and smooth, as expected. Drinkability was good, this brew would be one I could have several of. Overall, a nice take on the style, worth trying if you get the chance.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Can definitely taste the dry hops in this one. Very smooth and a hint of lemon at the end. Not very sour at all though. Overall, a great dry hopped sour that definitely does not skimp out on the hops.

2.78/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Wow! I like Burley Oak but this one was a real challenge to drink. Completely unbalanced. Just solid sour with dry hops. I was hoping for something more balanced and drinkable.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can.

A: Citrusy, lemon zest, with moderate sourness.

A: yellow-orange color, lightly hazy, with a rocky thin white head that decent retention.

T: Lots of hops with citrus and lemon zest, light complimentary bread notes, coupled with moderate lingering lacto sourness.

M: Medium-light body with moderate carbonation and light acidity.

O: Solid; the beer has lots of dry-hopping character, though slightly acidic and much more sour than I was expecting!

Like Raul’s first time on acid...wtf? This beer is hog crazy! Hoppy sensations! Sour! Lacto! It’s like Kim Kardashian after a Botox injection...it’s almost too much to handle! But nah, I got this.

I like it!

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz. can poured into a nonic style pint glass.

Effervescent and pale it looks like apple juice with a slight haze. The one finger fizzy white head doesn't stay long.

The nose is moderate in strength and starts with light wheat and fruity aromas with sour apple following.

Taste is dominated by sour apple, lemon and brine. There is a tiny bit of wheat sweetness trying to come through along with some malt vinegar.

It is light and crisp with a juicy feel, more tangy than acidic. The carbonation is moderate.

Not bad, I'm not a sour beer fan but I think I could drink one of these every once in a while.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

A: The beer is hazy pale yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation along with some hints of amber hues. It poured with a short white head that quickly settled down, leaving only a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of sour lemons and peaches are present in the nose.
T: The taste follows the smell and has additional notes of vinegar that contribute to the sourness.
M: It feels light-bodied and tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is very sour, much more sour compared to other beers in the styles.

Serving type: can

2.92/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A can into a teku appears clear golden with a white cap.

The aroma is soapy and has a funk to it like dirty armpits, taint, vinegar and grapefruit.

The taste is vinegar, lemony lacto, stale grain and grapefruit. Like the nose, this has a bit of offputting funk to it along with brine. A bit excessively tangy.

This is medium to lighter in body with modest carbonation. Not my favorite for the style, its too vinegary and I cant finish the can let alone want to drink more.

4.84/5  rDev +20.4%

My favorite dry hopped sour by far, Nice pleasant mouthfeel it'd definitely a lactobacillus sour which I love. Bright crisp and refreshing sour notes with a well rounded clean hop finish.

4.04/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a super hazy, grapefruit juice-looking color with a thin white head that's quick to dissipate.

Very citrusy aroma -- maybe tangerine, maybe grapefruit? This continues to the taste, where the tartness and citrus acidity combines with some pineapple juice sweetness and a slight cream flavor. There are some very distant grassy hops in there, too, and a semi-dry aftertaste.

Very bubbly, effervescent feel. Slightly creamy feel as well and even a tad pulpy.

This is like a fruit juice soda. Very easy drinking. Very refreshing. Just a guess, but sessioning these might get a little too fruity. No canned on date.

4.14/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a can of this at Julio's.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip a nice crystal clear dark straw hue with a thin white head that fades quickly to leave a light halo and thin blanket.

S - Aromas of light tart wheat, citrus, light floral hops. Nice lactic acidity.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. The lactic tartness is much stronger than on the nose. Very tart, light lemons, sweet tart candies, vinegar notes. Little bit of tropical fruit notes. light lemon. Almost enamel scrapingly tart. Almost green apple like. The sourness is really up front. Upland level.

M - Mouthfeel lightly carbonated, tart, little flemmy.

O - Overall this was a solid tart beer. Nice tropical flavour and tartness. The sourness is rather strong. On par with Upland really.

Serving Type: Can

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. can dated 01/25/2017

Pours cloudy hazy yellow-gold with a quickly receding frothy white foam head. Smells like funky sour fruits, mango, peach, nectarine, lychee, pineapple, passionfruit, guava, berries, grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, some crackery wheat, pickle juice, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like pickle juice, sour funky fruits, tropical mango, peach, nectarine, lychee, pineapple, passionfruit, guava, berries, grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, crackery wheat, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium bodied, creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall a real nice dry-hopped sour ale.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Big time lemon and some slight musty funk. Crisp, puckering finish. A whole range of vibrant citrus flavors play over a backdrop of wheat and cereal grains. Really nice.

4.16/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from can (02.17.17) into gandhibot snifter
Like apple juice, little to no head
Nose is funk, some lemon
I like this beer. A lot.
Tart up front, easy going down. Some lemony barnyard.
Nice beer. Always enjoy this one.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Pours murky, pale yellow in color with 1/3 inch head. Taste is lemon juice, big sour mix, and slight dank hops that appear on the finish as the beer warms. Mouth-puckingly sour, high carbonation, and light bodied. Some IPA characteristics, but a lot of sour. This is an exceptional Berliner-weiss. Best from Burley Oak yet. I would get this often if it were more readily available here.

I am trying to broaden my beer horizons, so picked-up a single of this brew at Craft Beer Cellar in Plymouth. I have never tried a sour, as it just doesn't seem like a taste that goes with beer to me. Not in front of a mirror, but I imagine that I made bitter-beer face, like those old Keystone ads. I am sure it is fine if that is your cup-of-tea, but I am putting my signal on, and going back in my lane.

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%

Can dated 12/21:
Pours a cloudy yellow, like a murky lemonade. Head fizzles away like many Berliners.

Nose is a lovely blend of hops and sour, the former winning out. A lemony lactic note gets a little block from floral hops that mutes the sour but accentuates the overall nose.

The beer also starts lemony sour in the taste (and my initial sip was jarring after the previos beer). Subsequent sips weren't nearly as powerful, but maintained a nice sour level. The hops are a bit more pithy/rind bitter than floral. It brings a bit more of a passionfruit note to the beer. There's also a little "unripe" citrus to the sour once the hop bitterness hits.

This beer grew on me more as I sipped it. Initial thoughts were that it was too sour. Then I thought the hops clashed a little with the sour. Then I started liking the blend. Still a tad on the tart side, but I can live with that.

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tried this from a can whilst on a road trip through Ocean City recently. To be fair I have to say I love sours. I notice a trend when I look up the style on this site, and honestly feel if you're not a fan of the style (not just this beer), then such low scores shouldn't be given to them all.

Pours a thin hazy light golden yellow. Thin white head that dissipates quickly.

Has a pleasant not too overly pungent hoppy aroma mixed with lemon and fruit. I'm expecting this to be very sour based on what the can states and the smell.

Wow! Just like it smells! A lemony floral hoppiness that's so refreshing on the finish. The lacto acid leaves my mouth watering every time I take a drink.

Really dig the feel of this beer and the way it leaves your mouth watering for more. For me this feels like it could be a great session beer. Not sure if the acid levels would prevent that though.

Really love this example and how refreshing it is. Easily year round drinkability, but a great summer beer. They did a great job of pulling this all together. Will definitely seek this one out whenever I can. Wish they distributed my way!

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well, apparently we get Burley Oak in MA now? Interesting. Picked up a single of this one today at Craft Beer Cellar in Westford. The label says it's a dry-hopped sour ale. Huh... Berlin, MD, eh? Kind of funny that this is categorized as a "Berliner" here, then! A true American Berliner weissbier... who would've thunk?

Pours a pretty dingy yellow color with a fairly huge blast of pristine white foam that settles after a minute to a smallish ring with inconsistent lace and a rather fuzzy complexion. Definitely looks like a no-fucks-given Berliner, that's for sure. Not the greatest pour I've ever seen.

Nose is funky, lactic and a little bit acetic, with a sharp overtone of lemon candy atop a blanket of tart-leaning wheat malt, doughy yeast and an oniony/dank character that I assume has to do with the dry-hopping. This definitely seems like what I imagine a straight-up Berliner would be like back in old Germany, right from the nose. Light sulfuric notes and some bright citrus start to come out over time as it sits in my glass.

My first sip is a definite pucker-fest, with a lot of lemony tartness, ruby red grapefruit, hefty wheat malt and a touch of acetic acid/vinegar coming to the fore. Damn, this is really sour. Like, heartburn level. It's not overly-fruity, though, and the malt backbone is surprisingly balancing. You have to go into this one expecting a heavy acidity, though, or it'll just cut through your palate on the first sip. At first, this felt a bit too over-the-top to me (and I love sours), but it's starting to ease itself out a little more as it acclimates to room temperature. Props for the tang on this one; it's a doozy.

The finish is a bit too heavy, however, and the carbonation and lingering acidity, especially in the mid-palate, feel a bit too high to me, especially for a 4.4% beer. The dry-hop character can be picked up a bit in the nose, but overall that also seems to go by the wayside in comparison to the sour and lactic qualities. Glad I didn't go for a six pack, as it was something like $18, making this a bit too expensive to buy in bulk. An enjoyable enough session sour with emphasis on the latter part of that style description, however. I'm gonna go take some Tums now.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Got in a BIF from oline73. 12 ounce can into tulip glass, canned on 9/1/2016. Pours hazy golden straw color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense and fluffy white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big tart/sour lemon, lime, grapefruit, guava, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya, green apple, white grape, wheat, cracker, bread, hay, straw, grass, light lacto funk, and floral/yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of citrus/tropical hops, fruity/acidic yeast, and pale malt notes; with great strength. Flavors of huge tart/sour lemon, lime, grapefruit, guava, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya, green apple, white grape, wheat, cracker, bread, hay, straw, grass, light lacto funk, and floral/yeast earthiness. Moderate tart/sourness and light peppery yeast spice on the finish; with lingering notes of sour lemon, lime, grapefruit, guava, passion fruit, pineapple, papaya, green apple, white grape, wheat, cracker, bread, hay, straw, and floral/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/tropical hops, fruity/acidic yeast, and pale malt flavors; with a great malt/tart/sourness balance, and zero astringent flavors after the finish. Light-moderate dryness from acidity as well. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately acidic/creamy/grainy, and lightly crisp balanced mouthfeel that is awesome. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 4.4%. Overall this is an outstanding Berliner weisse! All around awesome complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus/tropical hops, fruity/acidic yeast, and pale malt flavors; very smooth and refreshing to drink with the balanced acidity. A highly enjoyable offering.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A thanks to the founding father of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sour, a bit funky. Taste is very sour, dry, lemons, face puckering. Feels medium bodied and dry in the mouth and overall, drinkable, but I didn't care much for this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just didn't put me in mind of a BW. Very thin and astringent and very tart. Too bright and less refreshing than a BW should be. As noted by BO... an "extreme sensory experience". Very popular with others I drink with...guess just not for me.

4.24/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (tm) is on a tart/sour CANgent tonight & I CANnot be prouder! In "How to Review a Beer", we are told "Don't review styles that you know you don't like. Your opinion will be tainted, and it's not fair to the brewery." I CAN proudly say that despite being a self-described, self-avowed hophead, I CAN give any beer a fair shake. How CAN you expand your horizons & your palate otherwise?

From the CAN: "At Burley Oak, we love our sour beers! We also love all the aromas you get from our IPA’s. By dry hopping this lacto-happy beer, we’ve created an extreme sensory experience."; "Handcrafted Goodness."; "Be Burley".

Following the Crack!, an inverted Glug produced two-plus fingers of rocky, bone-white head which was clearly intimidated by tonight's humidity & went into hiding. Awww. Color was a cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose was an interesting mix of funky sweat with minty hops! I may have found a Sour Ale that holds even a modicum of appeal for me. Just add hops! I also got the onion-garlic scent that once got Gubna a negative reputation. Perhaps some Summit hops in the equation? Wild! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was definitely sour, with a lot of citrus flavors going on, including lemon and grapefruit, but with a funky, sweaty sourness like that t-shirt from last week that needs to go into the washer. This was not tart, this was sour! I am actually enjoying the interplay of the flavors, plus the low ABV makes it a great choice on a hot, humid summer evening. The finish was dry and puckering and I really got a lingering onion-garlic taste. This would be good with Utz potato chips ...

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can. Pale, light golden body with only a mild haze. A thin white collar fades rapidly with an audible hiss. Aromas include an earthy funk, bitter hops, prominent brett. Earthy tang with a mild sourness. Decent flavor. More funky than hoppy. Light bodied with soft carbonation. Fun to try.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite sour beers I've tried so far. Great hop aroma on the nose and slightly on the palate. Not overly tart which I liked very drinkable solid beer. Gotta look for more dry hopped sours!

Sorry Chicky from Burley Oak Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 90 out of 100 with 223 ratings