Straffe Hendrik Heritage 2016

Active
Rated:
Added:
Sep 30, 2023
(copied from UnTappd for this 2016 vintage)
Straffe Hendrik Heritage is a special variety of the Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel, as it a one year oak barrel aged beer. The beer is brewed in autum and is only available in a limited edition.

The taste and fragrance of the beer are very complex and evolve through the years.The tannin from the barrels blends exquisitely with the special malts in the beer.

The combination of the spiciness and bitterness of the quadrupel with the subtle taste of wine and wood from the barrels is inimitable. Licorice and dark fruits like raisins, prunes and figs can also be discovered. With age the beer will develop a hint of porto as well.
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by Beginner2 from Illinois

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
I take advantage of the new rule issued today allowing Poo-Bahs and BA Society to describe beers they added.)
But I've done this judiciously. First of all, the 2016 vintage is aged in run barrels and very sip reminded me of this. Second, UnTappd has a vintage every year for SH's Heritage, so the variations in the recipe and blending warrant a separate listing on BA. Third to play it safe, I copied the 2016 description from UnTappd which has 6,124 check-ins and 27 this month.

I purchased my copy from The Rare Beer Club's Box of Belgian Beer Bliss this spring. Their newsletter claims that a very limited amount of 2016 has been sold in the U.S. Too bad. It is a great addition to a quad-lover's experiences. While the rum dominates the base quad, that is balanced by other forms of grapes fermented and distilled.

While Looks are not this quad's strength, I give good points for cork, cage and Heritage's presentation. Smells are a dark fruit medley punch with much rum. Tastes are in sync with hops/herbs doing their job to turn a sweet brew into a complex one with a semi-dry finish. Full Feel in my mouth. Paired suitably with a chocolate cake for my 70th birthday.

Finding a brew this rich reminds me why De Halve Maan is on a priority on my Belgian Brewers Bucket List.
Straffe Hendrik Heritage 2016 from Brouwerij De Halve Maan