077-07006 - Sorachi Ace

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
077-07006 - Sorachi Ace077-07006 - Sorachi Ace
Notes: 077XX is our double IPA focused on harmonizing the extremes inherent in the nature of an American double IPA for long-term drinkability. 077-07006 is the Dubviant tuned up with an exclusive Sorachi Ace third dry hop inspired by the places that get it in Caldwell. Sorachi takes lead bringing 0’dub’s mix of dank resins and tropical fruit tunes down a pithy lemon path. Drink 077-07006 when a little zest is in order.
Reviews: 16 | Ratings: 87 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
agreenman19 from Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L - pours a mostly translucent off-gold. Pretty standard fare with a standard head.

S - potent lemon rind up front. Some limey citrus and a bready malty sweetness. Fresh-smelling with the slightest dankness.

T - woof, full force of lemon from the get go. Most beers I can describe as "lemony", but this one is "biting into a goddamn lemon and smearing it over my body". Earthy and deeply complex. Nails down all the nuances of lemon and lime from the initial tartness, bittersweet middle, and rindy finish as you're chewing on the peel, trying to lap up the last of the juice. Teensy bit of resin and pine with a whole lot of grass. Unique. As the beer warms, more of the base flavors come out, including dank hops and caramel sweetness.

F - soft and flowing. Feels like it glides across the tongue. Swift and silent.

O - definitely a different beer. I always knew Sorachi was kinda lemon-esque, but this takes it to a whole new level. Interesting and oddly refreshing.

Nov 12, 2016
IvoryFoxhole from Virginia

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can dated 10/27/16 poured into Belgian ale glass.

L: Bigger head, longer retention than the usual dub/dubvariant. Not sure what to think of this, leaves nice cap and lots of lacing. Beer is the normally mostly clear nice amber color.

S: Lemon and lemon zest from the Sorachi Ace hop plus the normal mango and piney dankness of the 077xx base beer. Works quite nicely.

T: Mango and ripe tropical fruit. Lemon and lemon rind come in a bit after. Lots of piney dankness on long finish. Think we got a better than normal base batch of 077xx, which is great. Tiny bit of bitterness at end, nothing exceptional.

F: Light to medium body tending to medium, light to medium carbonation. Well balanced and constructed.

O: I've tasted more bad than good when it comes to using Sorachi Ace; this definitely is one of the best.

Nov 05, 2016
dsa7783 from New Jersey

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Cloverleaf Tavern. Excellent IPA dominated by a strong hop backbone with superb flavors of tangerine and lemon zest. I was thoroughly impressed by this brew. Easily drinkable. Recommended.

Aug 12, 2016
gopens44 from Virginia

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Murky orange with about a finger's worth of beige-ish head gives this I e a nice little appearance.

Nose pops a brilliant menagerie of earthiness (twang of funk), copper and wild flowers.

Taste pulls in with an earthy, gritty quality before big time dandelion follows up before a dash of heat.

Finish is dry, bitter and completely lacking sweetness despite a nice malt balancing act. Another great and complex beer for me today - yay me!

Jun 20, 2016
NolaHopHead from Louisiana

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16 oz can. Pours cloudy orange, finger white head, great retention, soapy lace. Orange citrusy floral aroma. Taste is not bad but a little too heavy on the lemon peel/zest. The sharp flavors ease up a bit as it warms but still plenty there. Mouthfeel is medium slippery soft, dry finish. Decent brew overall just not my favorite hops.

Jun 03, 2016
Prager62 from Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A pint can dated 4/14 poured in my 13oz. tulip for the taste.

Look- Pours a semi cloudy dark gold with a finger of egg white foam.

Smell- Grapefruit, floral notes and cheese.

Taste- Floral flavor up front followed by grapefruit and a hint of spice in the finish.

Feel- Slick and resiny with a bitter dry end.

Overall- A good beer but probably my least favorite from Carton thus far. While quite easy drinking for a DIPA, it leans more towards the floral and spicy side which doesn't do it for me.

May 30, 2016
Dolphinsmarlins1 from Massachusetts

2.6/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was excited to try this one as I have enjoyed some of the coffee variants these guys pump out; unfortunately, it was extremely disappointing. I am pretty generous with my ratings, but this one just didn't do it for me. I don't even have the fancy terminology to describe why it is I feel this way. I definitely don't taste "tropical fruit tunes."

May 06, 2016
orcrist_cleaver from New York

3.77/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Huge quantity of warm lemony carbonated juice. Dill muddled in. Airy fluffed pastry, lightly buttered and a creamy body. Doughy malt in aroma. Pine solvent. It can get fermented papaya left in sun on raft floating the south seas sharp acetone burn. Lemon brine. Appearance a bit on the light side for me, but it works overall. Looks Ike lightly shaved lemon leaving rings of white lace. Distinct beer without ever a consistent sip. Are the good better than the bad?

Apr 20, 2016
MacMalt from New Jersey

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Canned on 4/14; 3 days' old. Poured into Carton IPA glass. It pours a hazy yellow color with a two-finger, milk-white head and extensive lacing. The smell is spicier than I anticipated; it has an almost Belgian smell. There is also faint citrus. It's definitely an interesting take on O'Dub: It's spicy and peppery, with a nice taste of lemon peel. It's quite dry and lacks the more bitter, biting finish of the standard O'Dub. It's medium bodied and moderately carbonated. You don't feel the 7.8% ABV so it's deceptively easy to drink. A couple of these, and you'll need to call an Uber. Overall, this IPA is very good, as one would expect from Carton. Personally, I prefer the standard O'Dub but that's just a matter of personal taste. You can't go wrong with 07006. I appreciate the zip code, as I've spent some fun drinking sessions in Caldwell, NJ!

Apr 17, 2016
mdfb79 from New York

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%

From 01/18/16 notes at Cloverleaf Tavern in NJ.

Pours a clear amber red with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Nose is sweet and floral, taste has more pine, citrus, grapefruit hops, some lemon. Medium body and low carbonation.

Overall a little sweeter and fruited than the normal 077XX. I don't like it as much but a good beer I was glad to try.

Jan 20, 2016
Dustin_Sallitt from New Jersey

4.04/5  rDev -2.2%

I think this is my least favorite odub variant. Not that it's bad, because this beer oozes quality, it just is much lighter and dryer than other forms of odub. The taste is somewhat lemony, some tropical fruits, with a dry finish and slight bitterness. Love the idea of variants but ill stick to the mosaic.

Aug 18, 2015
jseidl from New Jersey

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I had this last night when the wife and I went out for my birthday. Nice golden color, relatively smooth IPA. First Carton beer I had and really liked it.

Jul 15, 2015
TheBrewo from New York

3.74/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This guy was served on tap at Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, New Jersey. It arrived in a generic pint glass, showing a cool and dusty golden coloring. It held a one and half finger tall head of stark white foam that left chunky rings of lacing around the glass as it descended at a moderate pace. Haze was definite, but sediment was not. Carbonation appeared to be lightly present. The aroma gave bright citric and floral hops, powdered doughnut breadiness, biscuity pale and flakey malt toast, white flour, adjuncty and metallic malt filler grit, salty yeast, vanilla protein powder shake, cardboard and adhesive, mild banana esters, and stark booziness. The taste was a blend of extreme lemon cleaner chemical, dense diacetyl bitterness, harsh chlorine and phenols, lemongrass, wheat, pale and crystal malt base, white flour, raw yellow corn kernels, grungy metallic toast, ale yeast, fresh perfumed floral hoppiness, and massive boozy wash. The body was medium to full, and the carbonation was average to the tongue and palate. Each sip gave nice slurp, smack, cream, froth, and finishing pop. The mouth was left cooled and coated with heavy foam, but the mucosa felt a creeping astringent dryness after a few seconds. The abv was stylistically appropriate, and the beer drank back decently enough.

Overall, this was a nice beer to follow Carton’s Red Rye Returning, and paired well with our nachos, fish and chips, and veggie burger. While everything about this brew was robust, we found fault and minor offense with the taste. Almost like some people have that crazy aversion to cilantro, we felt that way here, from the first sip and beyond. You get this overwhelmingly synthetic and chemically strong lemon cleaner. We’re sure this is some reaction to the included hop components, but they just came across so oddly. This, mixed with the beer’s big and boozy character, made for a slower and less appealing beverage. It was explained to us that this was Cloverleaf Tavern’s house beverage, made solely for them by Carton. Perhaps it has just sat for too long on their tap line, and been allowed to settle out a bit, but we were not overly impressed here. Don’t get us wrong, it was a tasty enough beer, just not a new favorite.

Jan 30, 2015
HopBomb515 from New Jersey

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Hazy orange color with a thick white head and nice lacing on the glass. Notes of hop water, dank, herbaceous greens, lemon pith, lemon rind and soft tropical fruit. Nice medium body with crisp edges and a coating quality that deposits a softly bitter and dry finish. This isn't my favorite variant but I'm a fan of this hop so I think I like it more than the majority though it falls short on appealing aroma.

Jan 24, 2015
JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Had this af the Cloverleaf on Sunday, having never tried anything from Caton brewing before. I liked this a lot and although it wasn't a terribly strong or memorable beer, the grapefruit flavor and the easygoing nature of it led it to go down pretty quickly. It' s not often that something new grows on me so quickly!

This beer had a nice, blonde hue to it as it settled into my pint glass, as it had a cloudy appearance to it and a nice head that took a while to settle. There was quite a bit of good lacing as well, as I made my way through this, as this beer had a thicker consistency than other IPA's that I've enjoyed. Lots of grapefruit was also in the taste, with a dry mouthfeel and a bit of a herbal aftertaste like tea. The alcohol led itself to a nice warming effect here but couldn't really be detected in the taste at all, and the hops were not strong or earthy here either.

The strength of this beer was matched by it's taste - understated, present, and nicely balanced. While not on par with Dogfish Head or those from the West Coast, I enjoyed this a lot because of it's slight dryness, and lingering citrus taste. A good offering to have on tap and worthy of having my zip code as part of it's name, I may give this a go again before the Summer is up. A must-try for any local hopheads and IPA lovers!

Jul 22, 2014
Act25 from New Jersey

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sorachi was back on tap at Cartons in Dec 30 2017 and we were all the better/bitter for it.
a) pours a clear bright gold wedding ring, with a thick inch of bright white fluffy head and lotsa lacing.
s) Big, potent lemon up front. With following waves of lime, pine, and malt sweetness. Fresh-smelling, juicy, abundant with undertones of dankness.
t) Lemony Snicket. Big citrus and juicy - so nice and fresh at the brewer's tap. Earthy and complex. Rindy finish with moderating resin, pine, and grass. As it warms more dank hops and marmalade sweetness.
f) tongue pleasure, mid weight, clean entry and finish.
o) Ode to Sorachi when enjoyed at the brewer. Would have bought 8 tonight. Took home decoy (no slouch -fave winter warmer) instead.

Jun 29, 2014