Orange Swisher

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: Smoked malt is one of the more dubious tools in a brewer's bag because thresholds are vastly different. What to one palate is a hint of bacon or a whiff of BBQ to another is ashtray or Band-Aids. How can Carton ignore playing this game? Where can smoldering aromatics go off the beaten craft? In Orange Swisher we have reassembled the deconstructed aspects of a flavored blunt. Rich, dark malts rendered smoky by the addition of oak smoked pale wheat touched with orange zest and a heavy plug of the hops that smell like their cousins. Drink Orange Swisher and hand me down a 50-pack.

Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 65 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.74/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a deep brown with firm head. Nose definitely gave off smoke and a bit of orange, smoke and some "dank" hops. All those flavors hit the palate, but just didn't mesh in my opinion.

Zonk from New Jersey, Aug 04, 2015
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Had this the other day up at the Cloverleaf as part of the Carton tape takeover. I'm not a huge fan of these beers but this had more of a cigar feel than actual smoke or meat and the orange flavor was only found in the back. It was full enough to savor but thankfully, the alcohol took a back seat to everything else that was going on.

Pretty dark pour to this that wasn't black but wasn't that far from it either. Not a large head on this and not a ton of carbonation either. This reminded me of a cigar in terms of an aroma and this would be something that I figured would come out of Cigar City Brewing, even though the weed aspect wasn't as pronounced as one of the Green Flash beers. Some lacing was seen on one side of my pint glass as I made my way through this, as a subtle blood orange flavor took hold after a while. There was some coffee bitterness and a roasted tone to the malt as this grew on me, and took on a flavor of leathery smoothness once this fully warmed up.

Not a lot of booze here and I never really noticed it, since the other flavors were quite a bit to take in. A beer like this redefines what a Rauchbier is capable of being and if this wasn't limited, I'd give it another go. While not complex, the uniqueness of this meant that it needs to be given a go by any fans of smoked beers and for those of Carton - it's impressive having the brewer of this beer call my state home!

JerzDevl2000 from New Jersey, Apr 23, 2015
4.48/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This one's got the look that's perfect considering the style, with a sweet and chocolaty aroma. The flavor remarkable pulls off exactly as the name implies - it's very reminiscent of tobacco, oak smoke, and that sort of citrus flavor one gets from flavored cigars. The hops involved are somewhat herbal in nature, almost a touch of menthol hiding in there. One of the most unique beverages I've ever experienced.

Neorebel from New Jersey, Mar 21, 2015
4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Freebridge Liquors in Phillipsburg, NJ. Very small pour, but enough to get a good understanding of the beer. This is my first experience with a Rauchbier, and I am a bit of a newbie to smoked beers in general, but this was very good. An aroma(and to some extent, taste) of weed dominates this beer, there is very little orange flavor, I found it at the back end, but if I wasn't looking it would have gone by unnoticed. A very unique beer to me, and something I would make the effort to purchase on a regular basis if I had the chance.

tmbgnicu from Pennsylvania, Mar 10, 2015
4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The concept is well executed and I loved it for that, but a couple will be enough. I like it much more than most smoked beers but you only get so many beers in your life.

Fezzik1970 from New Jersey, Mar 04, 2015
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It seems I had a switched draft line; what I drank was more like a coffee stout and had neither orange nor smoke. I was surprised at the time given the name, but now reading reviews I'm sure of it.

LehighAce06 from Pennsylvania, Mar 04, 2015
4.2/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

From a fresh growler fill from the brewery. Orange zest but not in your face. Amazing beer but I personally think this beer shines on cask. Creamy, with peat notes and a body that gymnast.

kennylopez from New Jersey, Feb 22, 2015
4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

On-tap @ Carton Brewing.
Blunt - "a hollowed-out cigar filled with marijuana."
Smoked beer (German: Rauchbier) is a type of beer with a distinctive smoke flavor imparted by using malted barley dried over an open flame.

I interviewed a bunch of brewers at the brewery - and universally they dug this smokey brew.

A- Dark brown walnut pour with good carbonation and much lacing.
S - Unique smokey aroma - the smokiest. Citrus, orange, tobacco, roast malt, char.
I found this tilted toward smoke more than hops.
T - Follows the smell and plentiful. Lots of lasting flavors, complexity and finishes bitter, dry, chalky.

F- Just right, great finish.

More Rauchbier than porter. Very original, esp if you like smokey porters.

Nice original smoke beer.

Act25 from New Jersey, Feb 21, 2015
3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On-tap @ Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ.

Dark brown almost black pour with good carbonation and sparse lacing. Unique aroma that's heavy on roasted and burnt malts, as well as citrus hops, some coffee, and a hint of smoke. I was anticipating more of a smoked character based on its appearance, which explains why I was surprised to find the balance more toward the hops. It's not a positive or negative, just caught me off guard.

Lasting flavor and medium bodied with a bitter, dry, chalky finish.

I really do love the idea on paper, but the end product was a little disappointing. It's certainly a brew that transcends styles. Is it an IPA? Rauchbier? Porter? The answer probably lies in a little bit of each. I didn't pick up any orange, but it's possible it added to the bitter overtone.

I've had my share of the sticky icky before, in both blunt and non-blunt form, so I understand what Carton was trying to emulate with this beer. It just fell a little short for me. I feel it could be improved by dialing down the hops and boosting the smoked malts. Perhaps the thin body is its biggest flaw, so making it a little more full bodied would provide more support for all of the bold flavors it's trying to achieve. Two thumbs up to Carton for creativity, just not my favorite beer from them.

Jacobier10 from New Jersey, Feb 20, 2015