Michelstädter Rathausbräu Schwartzbier | Michelstädter Rathausbräu

Michelstädter Rathausbräu
Germany
rathausbraeu.de

Style: Schwarzbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by rinhaak on 10-20-2011

Liked:
4.03/5
Alströms:

4.03/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the Michelstädter Rathausbräu.

Pours a rich black that, when held up to a candle in the dim light, reveals that it's a very rich, dark red. A very nice head tops off this beer, and with excellent retention, it lingers throughout the glass.

The nose isn't overwhelming, but there are aromas of caramel, coffee, and - ever so faintly - smoke.

The taste is wonderful and exactly what I've been looking for in a schwartzbier. Lots of roasted malt flavor, I taste burnt coffee, campfire, and the faint flavor of dried fruit. Though by no means bitter, a surprisingly present hop profile.

Tremendously drinkable, this is an excellent example of the style. In many ways, this beer strikes me as an American interpretation of the style - which is odd, given there are nearly no American breweries brewing schwartzbiers. It sort of reminds me of a Porter brewed with lager yeast. Unique.

I can highly recommend the Michelstädter Rathausbräu any time you find yourself in Michelstadt.

Michelstädter Rathausbräu Schwartzbier from Michelstädter Rathausbräu