Sweetwater Barrel-Aged Ron Burgundy | SweetWater Brewing Company

Added by gford217 on 08-10-2009

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

I had this at a Sweetwater Brewery tour. This wasn't part of the selections on tap, but rather "secretly" poured from a cask off to the side.

A: Dark and stormy. No head just dark and rich. Almost looked like homemade root beer.

S: This was cask brewed, so there was definitely some whiskey residue, and maybe chocolate.

T: No carbonation. Just super smooth, but you could taste the whiskey and chocolate hints. That made this a longer drink despite its smoothness.

M: This was thick and bold.

D: Great for an after dinner beer. Hard to be social when your heaving this down.

Dug it. It was a nice change of pace from the other beers that were featured on-tap. Cask beers are interesting, and I never turn one down.

Serving type: cask

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at Taco Mac Decatur. Aged in Jack Daniels barrels I believe.

Pours a slightly hazy dark brown that shows through amber in the light. There is almost no head at all with no lacing but some legs along the side on the way down.

Well, there should be no doubt this was aged in whiskey barrels. I could smell if from a couple feet away, almost like straight bourbon when I took a big whiff. There is some vanilla and caramel malt sweetness with the faintest hint of the underlying smoke character that I like in the original.

The taste takes a while to open up as it was served very cold and tasted like a shot of Jack Daniels originally. After a while, the big caramel malt sweetness starts to come out with hints of vanilla. Plenty of whiskey burn going down.

The mouthfeel is very slick and smooth with a low, soft carbonation that leaves the palate burning with the whiskey.

I was a big fan of the original beer and I really think the whiskey was a little too much in this incarnation. The subtly of the smoked peat in the original is undetectable to me and I really only notice the whiskey. Nonetheless, a very good beer from Sweetwater.

Sweetwater Barrel-Aged Ron Burgundy from SweetWater Brewing Company