Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Style: Chile Beer

Added by kojevergas on 12-28-2012

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

Acquired at Lone Tree Brewing a couple days ago for $7.00. 32 oz brown glass growler with screw top filled at the brewery (just straight from the tap; no fancy growler fills here) and served into a nonical pint glass in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a quarter finger head of light khaki colour that quickly dissipates; it sticks around for maybe six seconds. Body colour is a dark caramel-amber. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. No lacing. Nontransparent; non-opaque.

Sm: Chili pepper, dried chili skin, clean dry malts, and biscuit malt. Chili peppers are dominant. No yeast character is detectable. No alcohol comes through. A fairly strong aroma.

T: Chili peppers are certainly there, hitting mainly on the aftertaste to leave a spicy wake. The malty foundation offers little in terms of character, but the biscuit malt manages to provide adequate body. The spiciness is quite tolerable; this is by no means as spicy as many beers in the style. Well balanced in that respect. That said, it's really too simple - even for the style, which doesn't demand much. Lacks complexity and subtlety. Of course, I've yet to actually have a chili beer I'd call subtle, but I digress.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Slightly undercarbonated - likely a result of the growler fill. Good thickness; it's not overbearing and helps the flavours slide down.

Dr: One of the more drinkable chili beers I've had. It's no Surly Fiery Hell, but it's a decent offering from Lone Tree considering the style. I'll have no trouble finishing a glass of this, but as with most chili beers, I doubt I'd want another on a given night. Still, it's a solid chili beer for what it is and surpasses my low expectations. I'll have to try more of Lone Tree's beers.

C+