Geestelijke | Strange Roots Experimental Ales

Strange Roots Experimental Ales
Pennsylvania, United States
strangerootsbeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Like the GEESTELIJKE’s namesake clergyman, this funky Farmhouse Ale is supremely divine. Our signature Wild Angels strain of yeast lends its uniquely sophisticated barnyard sensibilities to this full-bodied brew.

Added by RblWthACoz on 05-15-2014

This beer sadly is no longer made. Confirmed with Dennis, the brewer, that the yeast strain deteriorated.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had on-tap at Champs in State College. Poured into a goblet

L: Clear light golden pour with 2 fingers of thick fluffy white head. Great lacing.

S: Oak and musty funk. Fruity.

T/F: White wine character... tart without being sour... musty/funky... nice fruit flavor... green apple, pear, and lemongrass. Very light citrus... honey and spice. Complex and delicious. Light bodied and well carbonated.

O: A delicious and complex saison. Really enjoyed this and would get it again in a heartbeat. Can't believe this one clocks in at 9%. ABV was entirely hidden.

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Tap

Pours hazy honey golden, white ring for a head.

Smells of sweet apple and honey biscuit malts.

Flavor of apple, citrus, grassy malts, coriander and wildflower honey.

Medium body, tingly carbonation on the tongue.

Pretty nice Belgian style brew, one of DL's least sour rotators. Solid across the board and gets the job done.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.07/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: The beer is slightly hazy golden yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that died down, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of sour funk are preset in the nose.
T: The taste starts off with some sourness but isn't nearly as funky as the smell. There are also notes of fruits such as grapes and apples.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and surprisingly a little tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found the tartness in this saison to be quite unique. It also hides its alcohol very well.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A loud and fizzy white head disappears completely, leaving solely the sparkling gold-apricot body.

Bright and eye-openingly refreshing and tart aromas pop with apricot, oak, grapefruit, orange, and white grape wine barrels with a slight touch of perfumey funk.

Taste is quite bold and complex, starting tart and leaning sour but crisp almost like champagne, with woody oak that is somehow very sharp and light. A lightly spiced apple bread runs along the backbone with tart lemon-lime, apricot, peach, grapefruit and a little hint of white wine vinegar. Wild herbs develop as it warms with something perfumey yet bitter.

When it hits the palate there is a quickly developing fizzy froth, and it leaves with a semi-wet finish.

This is an infinitely complex and fine beer, I don't think I've ever had anything quite like it.

4.29/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap in a snifter. Geuze crossed with farmhouse - that is, gueze-like in sour profile, but fuller bodied like a saison (with just a touch of Belgian spice lurking beneath the surface). Subtle but complex.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks goes out to thebeers for this brew.

16.9 oz. Bottle

Pours a pretty nice cloudy yellowish color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy/foam white head, which leaves some sticky lacing behind. The nose is malty, yeasty, with some nice peach, kinda citrusy. The taste is malty, yeasty, very nice peach note, citrusy. apple, tart, some spicyness. Medium body, ABV hidden very well, nice little dry finish. Overall, this one really surprised me, very nice brew. Glad to get a chance to try it. Thanks Arthur! Recommended!

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

Interesting beer. Not bland at all, sour vinegar flavor with a bready aftertaste. Little funkiness. Smells like vinegar more than it tastes. Overall quite enjoyable, more sour than saison.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It was difficult to contain my excitement when the FGBS initially began receiving distro from this Pittsburgh-area brewery, so I purchased what was then available & subsequently added to them. It was never my intent to create a Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody, but its eradication allows me the opportunity to conduct horizontals as I go. I am finding the results to be VERRRRY interesting & not at all stupid, per Arte Johnson of "Laugh-In".

From the bottle: "Farmhouse Fermented Ale, Aged on Lees".

The name translates from the Dutch as "Cleric", so I assume that gives Bro. Woody of the Order of Disorder free rein. I say this because I generally/usually slowly decant my ales off of their lees. The site's "Styles" guide does not mention anything about appearance. The BJCP says that "Clarity is poor to good though haze is not unexpected in this type of unfiltered farmhouse beer." Sehr gut! I am going to do a half 'n' half, following the Pop! of the cap.

The inherent carbonation was evident from the outset as it offgassed the moment that I compromised the cap's seal. My first pour was a very gentle one, neither rousing the lees nor agitating the contents. I left about half of the bottle's contents in situ. An in-glass swirl raised just under two fingers of fizzy, foamy, bone-white head that quickly reduced to wisps. Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, summoning forth The Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, all vying for a taste. Nose was equal, in terms of its barnyard funk, to the earlier Cru, if not funkier in this case! Ha ha. I take amusement from beer when & if I can. There must be a horse in there somewhere! I can smell his sweat, his blanket, his dung, his shoes, his tail, his mane, his basic presence. Was this brewed in a paddock? I'd like $10 on the #5 horse in the next race going off at Los Alamitos, please. Mouthfeel, while medium, was quite effervescent. The taste, while funky & tart, was not as pronounced as on the nose. I also got some lemony flavor to go along with/cut the funk. I have to cop to not really being a fan of Saisons, but this was pretty enjoyable in its current form. Finish was dry, but not overly tart. I felt like I could drink this without needing water, which is my ongoing test with Tart & Sour beers.

And now, a swirled, murky mess. Nose was MUCH more pronounced & funky than it had been on that initial pour. Now, it was as if the horse was right on top of me! I really only enjoy equines at a distance, usually from the uppermost grandstands with a ticket & beer in hand. On active duty in the Navy, I was an inveterate gambler, albeit for low stakes, I was quartered aboard ship & so for a chance to get away on the cheap, drink some beer & blow some moolah, I took up everything from jai alai frontons, dog tracks, casinos & ultimately, horse racing. I remember the first time that I heard of Charles Bukowski & I immediately started buying up his books of both prose & poetry. We were like-minded & I still take inspiration form him. Mouthfeel, while medium, had an abrasive quality, as though the lees were scrubbing bubbles. Ah, Bubbles. She was an exotic dancer in North Beach, San Francisco, 1987. I was 22 y/o & she was probably old enough to be my mother (not really, I had older parents, so Mom-Za was 55 y/o at the time), but she really took a shine to me. All was well & good until some bent-noses who fancied her decided that it was time to show me the door. Young, dumb & full of c*m - that was me. I knew how to fight, but when it was three or more on one (me), I curled into a fetal position, got knocked unconscious & only revived when the SFPD rousted me out of the rainy gutter. Luckily, I had my teeth & wallet, so I walked, but not easily. They were pros & I think that they may have used a sockful of oranges. My nose, although not broken, was bloody & so was my urine, for about a week. I never went back. Back to the beer. The taste was taking on a stench of Eau de Backed Up Sewer Pipe. This is why I am not enamored of Saisons - they're like a box of chocolates in that you never know what you are going to get. This was becoming akin to the Whizzo Quality Assortment, reminiscent of Crunchy Frog, Ram's Bladder Cup, Cockroach Cluster, Anthrax Ripple, and Spring Surprise. Mmm. Of course, I jest, but as with all humor/comedy, there remains a kernel of truth. Finish was VERY evocative of the farm & while I spent my childhood summers next to a working farm, I have no need or desire to revisit those memories.

Bottom line: Leave the lees in place!

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light to moderate pour yields a 3/4 inch white head over a hazy golden body with minimal lacing. Nose of funk, citrus, and apple. Taste follows nicely with a crisp, dry finish of lemony apple. Feel is adequate for a sour and a tad thin for a saison. Overall, very interesting and at this price point ($7.99), this should be on everyone's radar!

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle:
Pours a hazy dark yellow. Head ends up frothy at the edges with sparse coverage of the surface.

Nise showed a decent sign of sweet-tart apple on the pour. There is a definite appl tartness as I analyze it. The beer is a little sweeter than I expect or desire in a saison. There is an apple blossom floral note along with a smell reminiscent of a saison, but it's pretty much in the shadows.

The taste is a little more tart, but very much an apple tart dessert overall. A little sour bite disappears fast and is replaced by a less sour, more tart apple. Quite prickly carbonation then tries to disguise (fairly successfully) a more traditional gay-like saison.

A bit of a tart take for a saison, but an enjoyable one. Wish the carbonation didn't hide where I think the saison would come out.

4.14/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev -1%