Nepenthe Ales Whimsical Wheat | Candia Road Brewing Company

Added by johnnnniee on 07-13-2012

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 12
Reviews by puboflyons:
4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

From the 22 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on August 28, 2012.

The pour is an outrageously heady golden amber and a bit cloudy. The head is just way too much but that might have my fault in the way I poured it.

The aroma is full of wheat, pale malts, clove, and a little fruity character. But it is mainly wheat and quite inviting.

The body is light to medium.

The taste is is wheaty and malty, which is just the way I like my wheats. There is a slight bitterness that lingers for more than a brief moment at the end. Very refreshing.

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge bubbly beige head that made pouring a bit challenging. Smells of banana and sweet bready and caramel malt mostly. Some fruity esters come wafting into my nostrils to round out the nose quite well. The flavor is sweet and malty with some banana and fruit with maybe a hint spice. Medium body with a spirited level of carbonation and a sweet sugary mouthfeel. I'm not normally a bit fan of wheat beers, but something about this one just works for me. Maybe its the sweltering 90+ degree heat or maybe my palette has finally accepted the style, but I really enjoyed this one.

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.17/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I had higher expectations as it was recommended by the.brewer at the shop.

My bottle was only very slightly carbonated which was its only flaw, but a significant one as the level of carbonation impacts the other sensory components of aroma, flavor, mouthfeel, and overall impression.

I would look forward to trying this again if I knew the carb level was adequate to really enjoy.

2.75/5  rDev -30%