Briar Weisse

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Briar WeisseBriar Weisse
Notes: Mixed fermentation sour ale aged with blackberries
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 27
4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can from connecticutpoet poured into Rogue speigl.

Dark blackberry purple with a creamy head of 1/2 finger.

Aroma of minerals, blackberry, lemon zest, bubblegum, fruity funk, and stone fruit.

Very nice fruited flavors - blackberry smoothie, lemon ice, a dash of salt. Nice sourness to back it up. Finish is of lush blackberry, more sour tannic notes, and ripe citrus zest.

Feel is crisp and juicy with a creamy body. Medium bodied.

Overall one of my favorite sours I've had. Really nice stuff. Would have/trade for again.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep and rich blackberry puree color, thick and opaque. The head is fizzy at 1-2 fingers but quickly settles to a film. This looks really good.

The smell is berries, lemon and toast, slightly sweet. Again, very well received here.

The taste is very similar - kind of like a blackberry smoothie but with the twist of lemon peel thrown in for a little tartness. Sourness is mild and the toast flavors linger in the finish along with the fruit.

Feel is thick and creamy, very soft. Moderate tartness and virtually no bitterness

This is a fantastic offering. So well balanced and inviting. I'm glad I got 4 now. May need more :) It is reminiscent of the best that Deciduous is putting out for fruited sours, for comparison.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%

New Year's Eve on-site flight of 4 of Night Shift weisses, 2.5oz each.

This was absolutely the winner of the 4 weisses I tried (nectar, mainer, Pomona and briar). Light to medium purple hue, delightfully sour/tart, feels like a milkshake. If I knew how I would buy a kegs worth of this.

I try to review every beer I drink. I like to think it forces me to objectively improve my sense of taste over time, helps me understand styles and flavors I like, and most importantly the BeerAdvocate weighted ranking system depends on reviews.

Briar Weisse from Night Shift Brewing