Swell

SwellSwell
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 41
3.84/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Hazy golden-amber with a half-finger of white head on top.

S: Odd nose - like stale beer meets old pineapple juice. But in a good way.

T: Pineapple juice and citrusy bitterness. Underlying sweetness. Think mango, melon, papaya, tangerines.

M: Medium in heft, some creaminess in feel.

O: The more I drink it the more I like it.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

Papaya, mango, over ripe peach, melon, pineapple and pine. Biscuit malt. Medium bodied. Lower amount of sweetness with a building bitterness the more you drink. It's pretty good but clunky.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Canned 3/26/18, poured into my Night Shift chalice, during the Bruins - Leafs playoff game. What could be better?

Pours a nice creamy thicker 1 finger head that retains well esp for the abv, decent lacing, super murky darker orange slight tan color

NOse really interesting fruit, a strawberry kiwi like thing going on initially, a bit of stone fruit notes with apricot, a little citrus note but mild, mango cream, more tangerine as it warms, maybe touch of bubblegum, some alcohol notes with fruity esters coming with it and maybe a little not quite solventy but something extra from the yeast and alcohol I can't label

Taste brings some mild creamy malt, a little toasty grainy, big hops, starting with some fruit again, little stone fruit apricot, citrus with a little orange cream and tangerine, touch mango sorbet, hops turn a little grassy herbal leafy, and spicy, also more of that mild yeasty finish with a little home-brew like off character I still can't label, coming with the mild fusel alcohol notes, I think they are some weird phenols, a bit bitter turning a little spicy bitter on the back end, finishing drier but more alcohol and bitterness, and a bit flat

Mouth is med bod, creamy juicy a bit, decent carb, a bit tingly booze

Overall this seemed like a homebrew, I think they pulled it a bit too early and didn't let it attenuate enough, or fermented a bit too warm or stressed the yeast, not sure but there is something off, decent interesting hops but otherwise a bit off, and especially for Night Shift.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

I am a fan of nightshirt and this beer is solid but not my favorite.

Look - it is a pale juicy body with foam that dissapears.
Smell - not as on the nose as I would prefer. Definitely smell some fruity hops but the boozyness takes over.
Taste - my favorite part of this beer. Taste is a candied fruit... pineapple, papaya. I don't know. It is good though. Sweet but not overpowering, IPAish but not boozy.
Feel - a little strong on the carbonation but with the taste it gives it a good snap on the toungue.

Overall - an IPA in line with NS's other offerings. Reminds me of Thievery (my favorite from them) but not as fruity. I am definitely picking up some to take home.

Swell from Night Shift Brewing