Le Peloton

From:
Tree House Brewing Company

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 35 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.42/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this with a few other Tree House hops in a tasting, and found this to be somewhere in the middle. It's tasty, but would probably stand out better on its own, instead of side-by-side with its brewery brothers.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The smell is what defines this beer, this beer smells like felix felicis. It is my favorite tree house hops by beer. I have rated a few beers 5 in smell, but those were all mistakes.

4.76/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L - looks incredible. Perfect turbidity. Orange juice. All of Tree House beers look amazing, but this one has a little something extra that makes it look irresistible.

S - this is unusual and a nice change of pace from normal Tree House offerings. Quite dank, with a candied lemon zest about it. Sweet and citrusy. Piney and biting.

T - huge and rich. Full flavor that holds nothing back. More of the same in the aroma. Very piney. Spicy citrus with a sticky resiny lacing that just coats the mouth. Malty and tangy in the finish. Booze definitely creeps up in a Haze-esque way. Earthy and tropical. Exotic like the Amazon rainforest.

Aside: I can see where the reviewer a couple slots down from me is coming from, but he sure as hell chose the wrong beer's page to complain on! Sure, most Tree House beers have a similar flavor profile, but they are all nuanced in their own way. However, this one is a reversal from a lot of the stuff they normally do. You don't typically see this dank, drying sort of DIPA from these guys. This is probably closer to Trillium's "base flavor" than Tree House's!

F - soft and subtle. Seems highly compressed, but in a decadent velvety way, not a cloying mega imperial stout way.

O - one of the better small batches I've had from Tree House! It's different and quite refreshing! Not so much the beer, but the direction taken. You know it's a good beer when I finish my first glass before my review!

4.69/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I can't say I disagree with the reviewer below me about certain common taste profiles for Tree House beers in general...however, unlike that reviewer, I don't see this as a detraction. I love that "base flavor", and think that its that which makes Tree House what they are: easily my favorite brewery out there (especially given all of the quality control issues w/that super popular Boston-based brewery...). So if you like TH hoppy beers, I can guarantee you'll love this beer. It's an absolute shame that some of these one-off 5bbl batches that they do will never be made again, as they are some of their best beers. I also agree w/the below comparison to a TH/HF collab. It tastes like Julius/Green/Haze profile but with some of the lighter fluffiness you get with HF hoppy beers. Tasted melon, grapefruit, mango. So incredibly crushable. Split one of my 750ml growlers w/2 friends, and we all couldn't stop drinking it, and it was all gone before we even noticed...Definitely not sharing the other one! :)

4.56/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If I have a quibble with Treehouse, it's that a lot of their beers are virtually identical and this small batch offering falls in line with their usual 'base flavor', with a few subtle differences. Poured next to a Julius, this was a much deeper, opaque, hazey orange color. The smell was sweeter than Julius - candied orange peel came to mind. The flavor again was similar to Julius, but a little sweeter and brighter without that malty bite. Very easy to drink. I like to catch these one-offs that they produce on their smaller system and did enjoy this one and rated it accordingly, but if you missed it you didn't miss anything drastically different than what has been put out before.

Edit: A few reviewers have called me out for some things I said and just wanted to clarify. I very much enjoyed this beer and rated it as such but I do realize I had a tone of disappointment in my review. I live in Western MA and come weekly and I've gotten to try nearly all of their new offerings, and many other regulars that I know have made comments regarding a certain sameness before. I've thoroughly enjoyed nearly every beer I've ever had here, but in this instance the subtle differences were not worth the 45 mins in the growler line. I feel like I gave the beer the credit it deserved in the score while letting people know this wasn't something they should feel regret over missing. I couldn't disagree further with agreenman's assement that this was something drastically different - maybe his palate is more refined, but to me this was a brighter smelling, sweeter and less malty version of Julius

4.64/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Beautiful hazy orange body with a thick creamy head and a speckled lacing
S: Tart tropical fruits and juicy citrus aromas
T: Tropical fruits like pineapple and papaya, grapefruit notes are more nuanced
F: Soft, well carbonated, love the bitterness levels
O: I hope this isn't a one-off, because it's an amazing beer. Makes me of think what a collaboration brew between Tree House and Hill Farmstead could be like!

Le Peloton from Tree House Brewing Company