Orange Is The New Ale

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Orange Is The New AleOrange Is The New Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 12
Reviews by tone77:
3.84/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden/orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of oranges. Tastes like orange soda, except less sweet and with a hint of tartness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a refreshing beer that I may have to revisit during the summer.

4.46/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I’m not usually a fruit-beer fan, but this one is a great brew. A little sweet for me, but very well balanced. Nice copper pour with a decent head. Solid orange flavor that is complimented by the beer and hops. Smooth feel with a great finish. This ones for summer!

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very good

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

This is the dessert wine of beer, and it should be marketed as such. It’s the kind of beer for people who find coca-cola “refreshing.” The label said something about how you’ll have one and want to drink another and another. After one, all I could think about was my poor pancreas and how another one of these would give me diabetes. Seriously guys, this is not an “all day beer”; it’s something to drink with ice cream and cake on your birthday. A dessert beer.

Otherwise it’s fine, and a fine example of a shandy, with all the typical shandy characteristics.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

I was all over the Bucks County Ale Trail map during Labor Day weekend & while I was at Doylestown Beer Authority, I found this one awaiting my purchase!

From the Bottle: "Brewed Right."; "Ale brewed with Blood Orange Juice"; "We’re keeping things tangy around here with this fun, mellow shandy-style beer. Susquehanna’s refreshing ale is the ideal base for a sweet-citrus pure blood orange juice addition. The blend is so thirst-quenching that your first sip makes you want to kick back under a tree and drink another – and another. Then go for an easy-breezy barefoot walk. And you should. Because now is the perfect time for an easy-breezy barefoot walk."

I Pop!ped the cap & went with a slow, gentle Glug since I was beginning to flag at the end of the day. It rewarded me with the formation of two-plus fingers of fizzy, foamy, rocky, tawny head with modest retention, falling away to wisps as I typed. Color was a pretty Amber to Deep-Amber/Light-Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with orange, but it was a slightly sweet orange, like tangerine or mandarin orange. Mmm. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not much beyond it, either. The taste was less sweet than the nose had led me to expect. Instead, it had a slight tartness to it while remaining quite orange in terms of its taste. Frankly, I prefer less sweetness, so this was right up my alley. Finish was semi-sweet, very orange-y & very refreshing. Now, if only they would begin CANning … YMMV.

4.02/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On-tap @ The Country Club at Woodloch Springs in Hawley, PA.

Pours light amber with good clarity and a moderate white head. A good dose of orange, tangerine, and grapefruit citrus fruit in the aroma, to be expected. Hard to pick out any particular malts or hops beyond that. Taste is clean, sweet, and fruity. I think they got just the right amount of fruit in this one. In no way is it cloying or overbearing. Medium-light bodied, refreshing, and quenching, this would work well on a hot summer day.

I usually avoid most beers with a fruit addition, but the bartender gave me a little taste of this and it hit the spot, so I ordered a full pour. Something I would have more than one of, which is always a good measure of how well I liked a beer.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap in a pint glass.

L---Golden & clear. Small, thin head that dissipated quickly and left little lacing.

S---Very fruity with orange predominant.

T---Like an orange sucking candy. Orange was basically the only flavor.

F---Wet & quenching from the citrus.

O---A bit too sweet & orange forward for my liking, but that's what they said it was so that's my own fault. I can't see drinking this one in any quantity.

4.1/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%