Love Belgian Beer?

Style: Roggenbier

Added by EspressoGuy on 12-22-2012

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4
3.05/5  rDev -4.4%

Drank back in April 2013, but I felt I should add it to the site.

A: Semi-opaque golden orange. Small amount of head.

S: Musty grains and orange fruit.

T: The brett has gone kind of sideways here, producing a dull lactic sourness which isn't actually very pleasant. There are overripe orange fruits and the rye is there (I like that part).

M: (no notes)

O: Very interesting for sure. Not like anything I've had before, and I've had a lot of brett beers. That dull sourness is not for me though. I've only experienced it that way once before and it was in a notoriously poor beer.

4.11/5  rDev +28.8%

Wow, if you were looking for something interesting, you found it! This beer is a thinker, and by that I mean that you don't notice all it's flavours right away, or even in each sip. There are a lot of layers to it, and it took me a while to break them down. The aroma is surprisingly mild, mostly of apricots, with a bit of Brett funkiness, and a hint of something grassy. The colour is a dark orange, slightly hazy, with just a thin ring of foam around the edges. The first layer of flavour is fruit-based; apricot, lemon, pear, orange rind. Prevalent, but not overpowering. I didn't notice any pineapple as promised on the label, but I'll let it slide. Next layer is distinctly wheat: a light sweetness, a little cloying at the end. The rye layer is elusive, I only notice it's inherent spiciness every other sip, but it is still an extra dimension of complexity. Now on the finish I can taste the Saaz hops, a hop flavour of which I've never been a fan. Luckily this is also where the weizen yeast comes into play, so mostly one only tastes a dryness from the hops and a sour earthy twist from the yeast. And from mid-palate to finish, there is an overtone of wild crab-apple, the flavour lent by the Brett yeast. I'll say that on the first sip, this beer just tastes like a sour jumbled mess. It's not until I started noticing some of its' individual flavours that I really started to enjoy it. So don't give up on it after the first couple sips! It was $10, which is more than I usually spend on a beer of this ABV, but I'm glad I did because it was really neat.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

A: deep golden honey with orange hints
S:wet stone, flat, earthy, nuts; no noticeable hops or fruit
T: sour and muddy; not a clean fresh sourness; finish is fast leaving a very flat taste. The label says "notes of apple, apricot, and pineapple" but if so the fruit is over-ripe. This tastes like a cheap homemade beer. No flavour development at all.
M: light to medium bodied; low to medium carbonation.
O: not an appealing beer at all.

Hunter's Moon from Coal Harbour Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.