1896 Barley Weisse | Union Craft Brewing Company

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Added by mendvicdog on 08-02-2013

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Berliner Weisse is one of my favorite styles as I have sampled beers across the continents based on Michael Jackson's advice/books. I find this my favorite style of wheat beer...having tired of the yeast heavy hefe weisens and seasoned belgian wits. Don't get me wrong...these are wonderful beers...just been there done that....so to speak. I have enjoyed many breweries versions of Berliner Weisse including my favorite Lindl. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a new world version that not only was well made but also was... finally... a fresh, draft/tap version after more than a decade of bottled German styles. Had a pint at both Ocean Odyssey and Stoked...both part of the beer renaissance in Maryland. The beer was characteristically tart and refreshing. There was a nice mouth feel consistent with better Berliner Weisse beers from der fatherland.
Unfortunately I returned to the restaurants with my Woodruff and Raspberry syrups...only to find both places had kicked the kegs.
Message to Union Craft...make more!!! Really well done!

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks cidery. Minimal off white head.

Smell is pretty much nonexsistent but not bad. Smells like a really light sour.

Taste is light but not watery. Got some nice lacto sour flavor with a tiny bit of bread and zest going on.

This is a collaboration with Meridian pint.

1896 Barley Weisse from Union Craft Brewing Company