Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Young Henrys Natural Lager | Young Henry's

Reviews by heygeebee:
3.72/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

On Tap at Station Bar Katoomba

Pours a cloudy one finger head, body is deep straw yellow but it is cloudy, real cloudy!!!! Good sheet lace. Looks more like apple juice than beer, in all honesty.

Aromas mainly of malts and yeast.

Taste is very dull and earthy, with also elements of sherbet and lemon. If that spins an uneasy mix then yes it is.

Mouthfeel way under carbonated, almost flat.

Not a good beer by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT - 2015.

YH have come a long way imho. A very cloudy and lemony/sherbety beer still but now zesty and very drinkable. Kudos at 4.2% to boot. Better on tap than bottled. Scores revised.

3.04/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's ok, earthy hops, a bit bitter

Pours gold with a fading head.
Nose shows off-putting cereal and cardboard-like malt, with some spicy hops and misplaced fruity esters.
Similar flavours. A bit of fruit, a little sweetness, some spicy hops.

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.68/5  rDev +16.5%

3.92/5  rDev +24.1%

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Young Henrys Natural Lager made me think “I bet there’s a way I could make a joke about this beer being a natural blonde/brunette/redhead” but then that would be lame and here at www.ihatemacros.wordpress.com we don’t do lame jokes... So without further ado *drumroll* Young Henrys Natural Lager where the carpet matches the drapes! [Wait, what?! That doesn’t even make sense lame joke or not]. Anyhow this is the last of the full-time Young Henrys I’ve yet to review and I feel like I’ve gone a bit Pokemon on this brewery and “collected them all” so there’s a box ticked there at least... now I can have that coronary I’ve been putting off for years, thank you Young Henrys!

Poured from a 375ml can into a stein.

A: Hazed golden/straw coloured body with a white sea foam 1 centimetre head that drops back to a microscopic layer of foam (even dragged my microscope out for this one). Not bad, not great, not purple, not harmonica, not Sunday-fete, Lager? Yes, that. A natural blonde too. Head could have been a bit more adventurous. 7/10.

S: If I didn’t know any better I could have sworn someone dropped a honey/lemon cough drop into my beer... but no, it’s just Natural Lagers natural aroma. It’s not ba... I’m going to shut up now. 7/10.

T: *superhero voice* Lemon and honey combine to bring you the beer equivalent of a soothing cough drop! Apart from those overriding (though muted) characteristics it has a slight grainy note and finishes with a crisp/dry note... if I could evoke a visual descriptor for this beer imagine this: You’re sitting on a rocking chair, on a porch in the middle of the day in town where nothing happens called “Dead Gulch, Arizona”. A tumbleweed rolls past. End scene. 5/10.

M: At least the body is ok - mid to light, a little flat but gassy at the same time. 6/10.

D: I’m really spoiled for Lagers since I discovered flavoursome ones such as Sierra Nevada’s Nooner Pilsner or [ANY] Bock - this Young Henrys is a bit like their entire line-up: Wishy-washy (aside from Hop Ale which is OK). If you want an uninspiring craft Lager then look no further - you’ve found it. Now shoot yourself - you suck at liking beers! If Young Henrys were selling fairy-floss they would sell flavours like: Water cracker, vermicelli, plain yoghurt and chestnut. Little boys/girls would be left in tears, and with the beers they brew at the moment I’m frankly surprised if there aren’t any craft beer men crying into their long beards. 5/10.

Food match: The common cold.

Young Henrys Natural Lager from Young Henry's