Bomb! - Double Chocolate | Prairie Artisan Ales

View: Beers
4.34/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

4.72/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got to try this at the Prairie tap takeover at Mikkeller Bar in San Francisco earlier this year. I got to try this side-by-side with regular Bomb! for comparison.

To-date, my favorite beer is still probably Prairie Bomb!, so my review may be a little biased, but while very similar in construction, this bad boy tastes like another beer... maybe a cousin beer, instead of a sibling to Bomb!.

A - Close-to-black. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say this is black. Very little tan head disappears pretty quickly. Slight legs if you give it a little swirl.

S - Coffee first, then chocolate. But dark dark chocolate - no milk chocolate like I might have expected. Vanilla is present, but not as present as the standard Bomb! Slightly earthy and little to no booze smell.

T - Not at all what I expected, but equally as good. Sure you get coffee, mineral, molasses... but the chocolate... I would not describe this as a sweet chocolate - this is bitter raw baking chocolate (straight up sugarless cacao bars). This complimented the coffee taste fantastically. Definitely less balanced than Bomb!, but I really like how heavy it hits you with the bitter flavors of coffee and cacao. I wouldn't call the bitterness offensive like a Mikkeller Black or Big Worster - just the right amount of bitterness and alcohol (which is well hidden like Bomb!). Right in the back end, you get a nice sweet note like chocolate syrup, but only after being hit with coffee and cacao. I got zero of the chili taste that I get from Bomb! in the finish and after-taste.

M - Like Bomb! the alcohol is well hidden from your palate. Zero burn, and goes down easy. Rushes over my tongue with no carbonation. Just a fantastic feel.

O - I only wish I could get this in a bottle. I'd love to see what it does after 6months to a year of age. I would definitely recommend drinking it fresh, but I'm curious to see how it tastes and balances with the volume/intensity turned down just a little

4.45/5  rDev -2.8%