Gose Both Ways

Notes:
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 12 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

on tap

Look: Maybe a bit on the yellow-goldenrod side, but what else would it be? I'm not looking for aesthetics out of a 4.7 sour.

Smell: Yes, this is a Gose, and it is clearly a Gose. A discerning nose will not confuse this with a Berliner Weisse or some random, experimental sour. The smell is sour, but not funky. One sniff and you know what this is. Excellent job by Parkway on the nose. I smell it, and I want it.

Taste: As with the nose, definitely a Gose...but I'm not sure what they really wanted to accomplish. No clear salt, no clear coriander, no clear fruit complement (or compliment). Then again, maybe this is a perfect Gose and everything else I've had was just trying to feature a particular ingredient (Westbrook: salt, Six Point: coriander, Anderson Valley: somethingness, NoDa: ginger, Troegs: sour cherry, Devil's Backbone: cranberry)...which is entirely possible.

Feel: Heavier than it should be. I feel like a Gose should hit the palate and then go away, but this actually lingers like a Berliner Weisse and doesn't have the complexity to do so (instead of "ew....oh!" it's "hmm...ok?")

Overall: Hey, it's a Gose from the mountains of Virginia! Then again, it's a Gose from the mountains of Virginia. I am grateful to Parkway for all of their efforts-- they never disappoint-- and I am glad that they made a Gose. I will order it again, but if I had any other Gose option, I'd take it.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Highline RxR, on to the beer:

Here we have a light yellow colored beer with a short lived head. The beer smells acidic with a note of vague fruit. I get a slightly better impression as the beer enters my mouth. Indeed, the beer is acidic, but a relaxing acidic. I taste lemon, berries, a light saltiness, and acid in the aftertaste. Sticking to style, the beer is light bodied, crisp, and simply a refreshing gose.

3.88/5  rDev +4%

On tap:
Revisit on tap, 10/2015: look is much clearer than original post, but head is lighter-color is still a tad dark. Balanced but very drinkable brew, on re-analysis. No ratings change, but will add, if you're up for a fruit-tart refreshing summer beer, give this a shot.

Pours a nice hazy-to-cloudy yellow, perhaps just a tad to the dark side of the color. Head is fluffy white; torrents of carbonation can be seen through the haze supplying/sustaining a half finger atop the whole beer.

Nose is tart, sorta on the lemony side, but there's a hint of lighter fruit also. A hint of the sea is there, but weak.

A more fruity Gose than I'm use to having, almost having an estery Belgian taste to it, a little apple and pear (as the beer warmed, the fruit flavor faded replaced by an earthy taste). That isn't to say the beer isn't tart, there is some sour in there but it's subdued. The lemon-lightly cider-vinegary sour tries to come on strong but is overcome by the other fruit notes. Light salt water flavor hits at the end with a hint of more apple.

Feel is light, smooth, maybe just a tad watery thin at the end, but that actually works very well for me in this beer.

As stated, a bit more fruity in my initial tastes (this actually faded as the beer warmed, but brought a sight degrading of feel also, balancing it out). A lighter, less extreme version of the style but quite quaffable. Don't let it get too warm, though.

Note: I got a slight bit of butter, but not much. I've gotten more in the Goses I've made and it didn't bother me. Not sure if the flavor profile tricks my palate or not.

Gose Both Ways from Parkway Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 12 ratings