Orange Vanilla IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Orange Vanilla IPAOrange Vanilla IPA
Notes: My wife Jenny and her best friend Diane were the inspiration for this beer and you know how that goes; happy wife, happy life. They fell in love with a Witbier garnished with an orange a few years back and we too that idea and kicked it up a notch.

This is our verision of an adult orangesicle with natural orange and vanilla flavors, perfect for welcoming springtime. This IPA is brewed with Mosaic and Citra hops that fill your glass with aromas of tangerine, passionfruit, and tons of citrus. Good times to you my friend, and welcome to the beaver family.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 17 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I like this one for what it is. If you're looking for a refreshing, citrus IPA that you can drink while you barbecue, then this is it. I scored Look so high because I appreciate the yeast in the bottle. A hazy IPA is a tasty IPA (in my opinion)

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a hybrid glass from a 12 oz bottle

A - a very hazy light orange with gold, half finger white head and some sticky lacing

S - orange is the first and biggest part of this ale. Dry yeast, huge citrus rind, huge citrus hops, vanilla, creamy and both dry and sweet malts grains with a touch of earth

-T - literally taste like a creamsicle ale that has huge hop flavor. The orange is both juice and citrus, the vanilla is amazing -- sweet and stout, the yeast is a bit of a mystery but slightly crackerish, pine, sweet and dry Malts, citrus rind and more Malts

M - medium body, nice balance, ok complexity, medium plus acidity, medium carbonation and a ale that is hoppy with vanilla and orange (simple as that sounds).

D/O - love this for what it is. If this wasn't a niche type ale it wouldn't have gotten as far -- however it is exactly as expected. Best part is this guy is clean, refreshing and easy to drink with all the nuance of this one of a kind ale. Really awesome and I'm ready for more than one. Get something greasy to eat and enjoy.

Final thoughts - at a price point I am not sure of because it was a gift and an ABV that hits close to 7% why the heck not? Have one, two or as many as you fancy.

2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from 12oz glass into Spiegelau IPA glass. Bottled on April 28th 2017.

L: Cloudy, pale yellow, very light for an IPA. Nice two finger head, fades slowly into a thick layer. Excellent lacing.

S: Honestly this smells gross. Has a fume about this that reminds me of methane. Yup, a fart. Some orange in there for sure. Yup that is about all I can pick up. I just had Sierra Nevada's Hoptimum 2017 Triple IPA so maybe my nose is dead.

T: Okay flavor isn't near as bad as the aroma. I don't get the Orangesicle this is supposed to be. I do taste some Orange and some Vanilla, but it doesn't mesh well in the beer. The Citra hops are noticeable.

F: Light and crisp.

O: I would have to say this is a pass. It is the first I have had from Belching Beaver and I'm still willing to try more (being stationed in San Diego helps) so maybe I will stop by this weekend. Keep an eye out!

Orange Vanilla IPA from Belching Beaver Brewery