Magnolia Malt Liquor | Martin House Brewing Company

Style: American Malt Liquor

Availability: Summer

Added by Gagnonsux on 06-17-2018

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Westvleteren 12 trappist glass
From: Total Wine Preston Village in Plano, Texas
Price: $2.79
Purchased: Dec. 17, 2018
Consumed: Dec. 29, 2018
Reviewed as: American Malt Liquor
Misc.: No canned on date

Picked this up with a bunch of other beer (mainly barrel-aged stouts) while on a work trip in Frisco, Texas. Had been waiting to try a 10th American Malt Liquor ever since I was doing #MLT (Malt Liquor Tuesdays) back in 2017. Did nine of them at the time and needed the 10th to mark it down for another style for me, which will arguably be my lowest-rated style. This would also be my first craft malt liquor I believe. Online description called it, “Magnolia Malt Liquor is a brew we’ve been wanting to make for a while now. This craft malt liquor puts all others to shame with regard to both flavor profile and alcohol content. It’s certainly a bigger beer, coming in at 8.7% abv., but the taste is what really sets it apart. You’ll get a rich malt profile with an additional sweetness from the use of flaked corn.” Flaked corn? Yum.

Poured a semi-clear golden color with 1-to-2 fingers of off-white frothy head. Lots of fast-moving bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. World-class spiderweb foamy lacing. World-class foamy retention. (Sight - 4.50)

Smelled apple, pear, peppery spice, green grape, light cinnamon, corn and grain. More corn and grain from the can. This was a really good smelling malt liquor though. (Smell - 4.25)

Tasted at least as good as the nose. Boozy, but not overwhelming. Got pear, green apple, green grape, cloves, cream soda, pepper, cereal, sugary grain, grass and corn malts. (Taste - 4.50)

Medium body. Oily texture. Average carbonation. Clean, crisp finish. (Feel - 4.50)

Just a world-class malt liquor. Best of the 10 I’ve tried by far and this didn’t even need to be barrel aged to make it No. 1. (Overall - 4.50)

4.44 | 98 | A

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%

Found a 4 pack of cans at Whole Foods on McKinney Ave in Dallas, TX. I seldom buy "malt liquor" other than the occasional Mickeys, but gave this a chance since it's local. Poured from 12 oz can into a Duvel glass.

A - Cloudy, appearance typical of a wheat beer. Minimal head and lacing. Some bits of suspended sediment detract from the experience.

S - Not much aroma but pleasant. Vaguely grainy like a loaf of bread. Perhaps it's actually "malt" and it's never been so well presented before.

T - Reminds me a lot of Blue Moon. There's that wheat thing again. Not what I expected from a "malt liquor" but it's a deviation in a direction that suits me well. I like wheat beers, I like Belgians, and I like the higher alcohol content associated with malt liquor, all good things!

F - Not much carbonation. Rich and heavy for something with such a light albeit cloudy appearance. Actually reminds me a lot of Duvel (maybe it's the glass).

Overall, I liked it enough to look it up, see there are only three reviews, and decide to add mine. The sum is better than it's parts. It's very good, but leaves me thinking I don't know the first thing about what "malt liquor" is supposed to be. Bottom line is the can says 8.7% which helped sell me on it. I'm hard pressed to believe it.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Magnolia Malt Liquor from Martin House Brewing Company