Black Hop IPA

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Black Hop IPABlack Hop IPA
Notes:
Reviews: 9 | Ratings: 58 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.47/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, roasted malts, hints of chocolate. Taste is roasted malts, hops, some smoke, very light chocolate, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

3.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaped pint glass: color is black with dark edges, head is darker tan with a big initial presence then even a lingering top of at least 1/2 inch; some head lacing down the glass sides.

Smell is pleasant with a nice roastiness, subtle coffee and dark chocolate notes, piney/earthy hops on the finish.

Taste is also nice with a lean towards roasted malts and dark chocolate bitterness, hop bitterness is noticeable but not dominant other than overall bittering presence; some toast and coffee flavors noted as well.

Mouthfeel is moderate with crisp carbonation and bitter roasted malt flavors balancing the sweeter malts that could originate from a deep malt bill for this style; hop bitterness seems to drop off from nose to mouthfeel.

Overall a nice take on the style with a lean towards roasted malts with diminishing hop presence.

3.79/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz can served in a lager glass.
Pours dark brown with a large, durable tan head.
Unlike too many black IPAs, the dark malts and hops in this one blend nicely rather than competing. Moderate bitterness with a medium-full body.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%

J. Alexander of Woodbury sent me one of these in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm) and I am always thankful for such things.

From the CAN: "Fresh Beer Crafted in Connecticut"; "Our darkest beer, made with special blackened grains that don't make the beer taste burnt. The Cascadian style India Pal Ale is balanced with sweetness, hop bitterness, and aroma. Goes great with salmon. Slainte[.]"

I had no salmon on hand so I proceeded with the Crack! which released foam through the vent and caused me to have to wait before proceeding. It was undeniably an active beer, but I attempted an inverted Glug anyway. Wow! Beer began to fountain out of the CAN and I immediately backed off to allow things to settle down. Once this happened, I was left with a finger-and-a-half of dense, dark-tan/light-brown head with great retention. Was I ever going to get to drink it at this rate? Given the almost imperceptible light penetration at the bottom of the glass, I am going to characterize color as Black/Opaque (SRM = 44). Nose had a light smokiness and a definite chocolatiness. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy. The taste was quite chocolaty, more like dark chocolate than what the nose had led me to expect. Once again, stylistically, it was spot-on, but what had happened to the all-important hops? Finish was dry and bitter, but I remain unconvinced that the hops played much of a role.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

SAmpling a cellar temp can poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a dark cola brown with frothy beige head that almost overflows the glass even with an extremely gentle pour.
Aroma is grassy and some pine hops with a bit of chalky chocolate mixed in the background.
First sip reveals an average body with smooth texture and very fine and tingly carbonation.
Flavor is molasses and roasted malt up front and some slightly bitter grassy hops that linger on my palate after each sip. Very dry finish and definitely some bitter bite. Not from booze but a good hop smack on each swallow.
Booze is hidden and the beer is very drinkable. A well made black IPA from a nice CT brewery. Well done!

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz can. Pours a very dark brownish black with over an inch of frothy khaki head.Tons of lacing. The aroma is citrus hops, chocolate, and roasted malts. Hint of coffee. The taste is citrus peel, roasted malts, and chocolate. Charcoal with some piney notes. Earthy. Finishes with some more roasted malts, smoke, and coffee. Very roasty Black IPA with a fair amount of hops. Lots of carbonation. Overall, pretty decent canned Black IPA I will buy again.

3.36/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I found this beer on the shelf at a store in New Britain and tried it having never heard even of the brewery. From my past experiences, I feel black IPA is a catch-all term for anything on the darker and hoppier side, usually not resembling any others so I go in without any expectations of the style. I'd say this one tastes more on the stout end of the ale spectrum. During the pour it smelled stale/budweisery and I was worried I just flushed $9 for a six but the smell subsided quickly and it had no connection to the flavor. Very dry, with a slightly smoky but otherwise tame malt taste. Subtle up-front hoppiness that fades into bitterness at the end. Nice, thick head and creamy mouthfeel.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

Great balance of roast and hops. Poured with a think brown foam and it held well. Can opened with a bit of a pop and foaming but no issue with the product. The rich/dark maltiness covers the hop character. As it warmed, the pleasant bitterness became more apparent.

Bought this can at a local store. I was just released last week. I hear the brewery offers up to 8 products and they are available to-go in growlers.

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

One of my first growlers from this new Connecticut brewer this black IPA is not highly typical of the style, but it lays new ground effectively. The look is solidly black in color with a sturdy, creamy tan head which leaves healthy scattered lacing behind. The aroma is not shy and delivers a sweet molasses-malt and slightly minty pine hop. I get some mineral-mango nuances as well. Very enticing. The flavor kicks in with a slightly odd overtone of something blended in with lots of sweet malt which was not evident in the aroma, maybe a bit soapy. But thankfully this tones down with each sip and the brown bread and deep licorice-pine/peat-grain combinations emerge. The hops are notable but this is not a hop bomb. More of a malt & grain brew with decent hop character. It grows on me as the soapy quality becomes less and less noticeable. It has a great quality feel while still making for a perfectly drinkable beer as dark ales go. It's solidly medium bodied with modest but adequate carbonation. By the time I finish this beer I can't detect any of the odd quality I first noticed and it really has become more of a hop brew than initially thought. So it clearly grows on you and finishes with me wanting more....but the growler is empty. I will definitely revisit.

Black Hop IPA from Shebeen Brewing Company