Hamm's

Gots
SCORE
Poor
Hamm'sHamm's
Notes: Hamm's, first brewed in Minnesota in 1865, is America's classic beer. Hamm's is brewed using the purest water and the choicest barley malt, grain and hops. The beer that is "Born in the Land of Sky Blue Waters" is available in select states.

Ingredients: Water, Barley Malt, Corn Syrup (Maltose), Yeast, Hops
View: Beers
Reviews: 434 | Ratings: 1,116 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
TomQBigBeerGuy from Michigan

3.12/5  rDev +9.5%

Okay... If you are looking for less than .50 cents for a good time, this is the answer. $11.49 for a 30 rack is the fiscal decision here. Even better, try inviting friends over as them if they want a Hamms, they'll most-likely politely decline... more for you! This beer is for the people.

Feb 23, 2021
tmbgwes from Ohio

3.39/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My go-to cheap beer! If I'm at Walmart and I just want a 30 pack so I'll have something easy and light to drink, I get a 30 of Hamm's for 15!!
Kicks the shit out of Natty Light

Jan 23, 2021
lastmango from Pennsylvania

3.82/5  rDev +34%

Trying to rate to style . . . :) Poured a clear straw color with three finger white frothy head. Heavy lacing was present. Nose is musty malt. Taste as expected is malt with little notice of hops. Yet this is very refreshing and drinkable . . . much better than other AALs I have had. I note that this beer does not taste horrible as it warms like other AALs. That said, you will not let this linger in your glass until it is too warm. This is the best AAL that I have had in a long while. Not that I drink many because I am too much into beers with pronounced flavor. This is great for a hot summer day or any time that you need a break from big taste brews. Note: Not sure why the nose was musty. This can is from the same 30 pack I bought for my son-in-law for Christmas. Since we are now quarantining, I am drinking the Hamm's. No odor in the other cans!

Dec 13, 2020
AElfwine_Nerevar from Connecticut

4.74/5  rDev +66.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Rated to style, this is a world class beer as far as macro AALs go. Is it one I would want to drink daily or have in my fridge? No, not when there are locally produced craft lagers and pilsners that blow this out of the water.

Dec 09, 2020
pinback99 from Ohio

4.24/5  rDev +48.8%

If this was ranked against style, it should have a score in the 90s, at least. You either like/acknowledge the style, or you don't. If you do, there are few if any better than this, and certainly none at its price point.

I don't have tasting notes for you, other than unlike a lot of AALs, this has actually noticeable malt and hop notes, if you swish it around and hunt for them. But you won't, because that's not what this style is for.

For a long time I did not respect this style, but as I've shed my beer-snob past, I find I very much appreciate a quality, cheap AAL that always hits the spot, and Hamm's hits it better than any other I've tried.

Nov 25, 2020
MonDak_Joe1953 from Minnesota

3.45/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

24oz can. Can bottom has best by stamped date of 'FEB0821'.
Dark straw colored body. Extremely clear. One finger of white head quickly disappears and leaves an active surface and bubbly ring. No lacing.
Aroma is cob fresh sweet corn, along with some barley malt. Tough to get any big hops here.
Taste has some sweetness at first, with the end being bready. Has a touch of floral hops. The taste profile quickly dissipates after each sip.
Thinner mouth feel, with a smooth texture. Great carbonation.
Very easy to drink, and it tastes like beer when you started drinking beer. Great for a beer after any yardwork or workout. Good choice to break a steady stream of more complex craft beer.

Nov 06, 2020
Lord_of_the_Boozehounds from California

My new go to beer.especially for the price,13.49 for a 24 pack,here in California, that's pretty damn good.the look is a beautiful somewhat darker honey gold,the lacing kicks the crap out of the major brands like bud and coors,or even that overrated, overpriced swill modelo.the smell reminds me of Olympia and pbr, it's a really nice inviting crisp smell.the taste is glorious,very refreshing.excellent balance of malt and hops.the feel is light,but it definitely has body and character.overall,I definitely recommend this brew, it's quite underrated imo.so if you can track it down,pick of some brew that was born in the land of sky blue waters!!!!

Sep 26, 2020
AllOfTheCats from Wisconsin

2.63/5  rDev -7.7%

Pretty great for the price! $11/30pk here in Southern Wisconsin. This has been my go to for, I've had my good beer for the night, now I'd like another without going through my higher-end beers too quickly.

Sep 19, 2020
JUMPER from Pennsylvania

4.36/5  rDev +53%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is of course a bargain priced beer. However the quality of this product far exceeds the price you pay. First the aroma is certainly not real hoppy, smells like most American Lagers smell. It pours however a deeper yellow kinda like the color of corn,not light yellow or straw yellow. It gets a nice fluffy head that goes away but not as quick as you might think. When it does it stills keeps a bit of head there. The taste is clean, crisp and not offensive. It tastes like beer should. It then laces nicely along the side of the glass like curtains hanging. No bad after taste at all. Bottom line this is a nice easy drinking beer that you can enjoy more than one. The cost at my local distributor was $14.50 for a 30 pack. I place this up there with any of the production line beers out there like Bud,Coors,Miller or any others that cost a lot more.

Sep 08, 2020
Mcgruff515 from Texas

4.42/5  rDev +55.1%

Look, this is an adjunct lager. I didn't come in expecting earth shattering characteristics or a new interesting take on the lager style of beer.
The smell let me know something was there, but that was about it.
The taste, however, can be summed up in one word, beer.
This beer , is to me, what a beer aught to taste like.
It's a beer flavored beer that doesn't fizzle throughout your sip and gives a consistent flavor that is worth coming back to.
The mouth feel is thick and high in carbonation, but not so think that it's syrupy or so highly carbonated that it burns going down.
The actual color of the beer is a darker hay color, not quit dark enough to be considered amber, but not light enough for me to just say hay colored.
Over all, this is a beer that would go well with a barbeque at 100 degree weather. It's a beer you can drink after a hard day at work when you just want to watch TV and enjoy a cheap beer.
If you ever have the chance to try this beer, I'd say go for it. One way or another, you won't be disappointed.

Aug 31, 2020
hoppytobehere from District of Columbia

4.32/5  rDev +51.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can, around 2 or 3 months old if I'm interpreting the "best by" date correctly.

Poured into a glass, big frothy head. Surprising amount of retention for an AAL. Nose is nice. Grainy, little bit of hops.

I swear if you threw this in a 16 oz can and put some local craft brew label on this, people would go nuts for it. Incredibly refreshing and clean. Blows most AALs out of the water.

A "66, poor" rating at the time of writing this is absolutely laughable. It's better than 95% of craft lagers out there.

Aug 27, 2020
OldChattanoga from West Virginia

3.68/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

What can I say bad about this beer? It’s economically friendly, has more taste than most you will find on store shelves, and has a nice classic look to it. Not to mention the classic “bear” mascot from the old commercials. The pronunciation of the word bear is a corky country/hick play on the word beer. Goes down pretty smooth for somewhere close to around 150 calories. My only complaint is the corn syrup lingers in my throat sometimes the day after having a few cold ones.

Aug 15, 2020
unswunghero from Wisconsin

4.01/5  rDev +40.7%

I’d rather drink this over a lot of craft brewery pilsners.

Great lager that sells at 30% the price of what it could fetch if sold by a craft brewery based on taste. American lager with the right amount of hops without any off flavors like the metallic flavor of some other of the better American lagers. Extremely drinkable and decent flavor.

My favorite beer styles are APA’s with some body to them, and porters.

Hamm’s is my go to non-craft beer because it has some good hop to it unlike most other American lagers. It basically has no cons except that it is cheap and is not completely pure in ingredients as it uses corn syrup.

Aug 15, 2020
Mdog from Minnesota

3.87/5  rDev +35.8%

From a 16oz can:

Appearance: Clear light gold, ok head but fades out.

Smell: Mild, sweet corn.

Taste: Mild sweetness, a little corn, light fruitiness, moderate body.

Overall: Picked up a 6er of Hamm's for some poolside drinking. Hits the spot, does exactly what you want a lager to do, give some nice flavor while not being too heavy, and provide refreshment. Hamm's, the beer refreshing!

Aug 09, 2020
TedHead from Illinois

2.94/5  rDev +3.2%

Straw yellow color and smells like sweet grains when you pour it. Medium fluffy white head that clears our pretty quickly. The best way to describe it is that it's a beer that costs $10.99 for a 30 but tastes like a beer that costs $16.99 for 30. I'd choose a Hammuel's over bud, Coors, PBR, Natty's, and rolling rock. Drink this when you can't taste your good beers anymore.

Jul 31, 2020
snaotheus from Washington

3.84/5  rDev +34.7%

2020-07-25
16oz can served in a big snifter. Dated SEP1420, which I assume is a best by date. I'll try to review to style.

Pours a clear golden, sort of honey colored, with a respectable white head and plenty of carbonation. Decent retention. Smell is mild -- a hint of honeysuckle floral, a hint of skunk, a hint of grainy sweetness, maybe even a hint of grassy hops.

Taste is actually pretty decent. Don't get the hint of skunk that I got in the aroma, definitely get the grainy sweetness, possibly get a little honeysuckle. If I work real hard I can make myself detect the grassy hops, but it might be a phantom.

Mouthfeel is medium to light, very smooth, not sticky at all. Overall, it's an adjunct lager. But it's probably better than all the other ones I've had.

Jul 26, 2020
leemehan from Wisconsin

Been drinking Hamm's for awhile now and it is pure gold of a beer! It is the most creamy, bready-gold and sweet crisp goodness you can get! Better than all the other AAL beers without question and I have drank pretty much all of them! Schlitz and PBR are right up there behind it, but Hamm's is the best!! They only thing I wish they would do is have it in bottle! Pour it in a frozen glass and can get a 30-pack in Wisconsin for $12 bucks or a 12-pack for $5 and u can't beat the price! From The Land of Sky Blue Waters!! THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!

Jun 30, 2020
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

3.47/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My gosh, I was surprised at how much I like this one. Found a six pack of pint cans(!) for $3.00. Used one can to make Cheddar Ale sauce for burgers and enjoyed the rest. Nice, smooth flavor, sweet corn, bread, and grain. Light grassy aroma. Right up there with High Life and Stroh's as my favorite cheap beer.

Jun 19, 2020
rooster1970 from Alabama

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

By far. Best bang for the buck! I like ipa’s, pilsners and pale ales. But at the price point of .50 per can. Come on Man!
Not flavorless beer. Hot outside, cold Hamms in the Yeti.

Jun 04, 2020
SpearmintMan

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%

This is the best American beer. It's very German tasting and refreshing. It's aftertaste is smooth and easy to drink and it doesn't stink. It's not a carbonated mess like Miller is. This is a cheap beer and it probably gets overlooked because of its price but dammit it's better tasting than Budweiser or Miller or Michelob. This is an old glory that'll never die. It's old school in a can.

May 20, 2020
swid from Missouri

2.76/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Sometimes virtual happy hours lead to suboptimal decisions being made and you wind up with some excess Hamm’s on your hands. So...a review!

Hamm’s pours a light gold, a shade or two darker than most macro-lagers. A faintly sweet aroma. Almost cloyingly sweet initially, then becomes a bit more syrupy at the back of the mouth. A light reminder of hop bitterness in the finish. It’s...a mass-produced lager.

May 15, 2020
nordeen from Minnesota

4.65/5  rDev +63.2%

This is what a beer is suppose to taste like other than maybe a good Pilsner and not tarted up with chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, pumpkin, tobacco, molasses, old socks. You can drink more than two and still function compared to some delicious bourbon stouts.

May 11, 2020
joebrazil3 from Illinois

3.34/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is the best of the beers I get to buy in the 30-pack for fewer then fifteen bucks. Nominally a Miller/Coors product, Hamm's uses hops (The light uses hops and hop extract)) while Miller High Life uses extract only. Hamm's simply tastes better than its competition at its price.

Update 5/22/20: The family and I bought some Pabst Blue Ribbon and taste tested Hamms against it. Hamm's won, but not by so much that we'd never buy PBR again. I bumped taste up to 3.5. Why anyone who could buy Hamms would buy Bud instead is beyond me. But, that's the next taste test.

Apr 26, 2020
KACK1533 from Massachusetts

3.02/5  rDev +6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Hamm's is my quintessential Midwest beer. Since I've moved to New England, I miss it. Hamm's looks like your average AAL: pale straw in color. Smell is of corn syrup. Taste is pretty malty. Feels a little sharp on the tongue. Perfect end to a day of working outside, admiring the fruits of your labor. Can also be used for cooking brats. I love it. It may not be perfect, but it holds a spot in my heart.

Apr 01, 2020
SmokySignals from North Carolina

2.89/5  rDev +1.4%

16 oz pint can, poured into pub glass
Straw/ hay golden transparent body has bubble traffic, minimal head on soft pour.
Smells like faint stale apple juice and hay-
Tastes the same , cheap apple wine and seltzer.
Easily beats Bud

Mar 26, 2020
Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 67 out of 100 with 1116 ratings