Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sundown Dark | Berghoff Brewery

Berghoff Brewery
Illinois, United States
berghoffbeer.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by wheatyweiss on 11-30-2008

3.16/5  rDev +7.1%

4.25/5  rDev +44.1%

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

2.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%

2.42/5  rDev -18%

While I don't think that this beer is as terrible as some of the other reviewers, it is decidedly mediocre. Very thin, unsubtantive mouthfeel, odd, soda-like carbonation, lingering and sickly sweet aftertaste, and a non-descript, almost un-beery smell. I might drink it again if offered, but I don't think I'd pay for it. There is nothing pareticularly memorable, either pro or con. I guess it's a pretty color...

1.83/5  rDev -38%

Reviewed from session notes.

Pours out a dark brown (yet oddly transparent) color with the same vanishing foam collar as all the Berghoffs thus far, smells mostly of a strange cross between sweet corn adjunct, lightly toasted malts, and a vague muddled nutty scent. Flavor is sweet and malty, but has a very disturbing medicinal aftertaste that I really don't enjoy at all, texture is a somewhat too fizzy on a thin body like this one has. This one is an "avoid" in my book.

1.53/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A-Dirty brown and murky with a tan head that quickly breaks down, plenty of tiny CO2 bubbles.

S-Smells like a lager and not a brown ale. Not much going on here, corn and ethanol. No hops or more importantly no roasted barley malt.

T-This is one fucked up beer, a bit sweet but not malty, lingering almost soy sauce like but not in a good way-salty without the umami. A bit of a bitter finish.

M-Highly carbonated, pretty thin a hint of grain body at the end.

D-This is a fairly drinkable beer, but is very unremarkable. I'd rather have Miller Lite or make that Natural Light or their Mountain Crest. Their is no reason to spend an extra penny to drink this one.

O-This is a shitty beer. Life's too short to have this one again.

1.18/5  rDev -60%

I love beer and view the wasting of beer as almost sacrilage. That said, I could only finish about a third of the pint that I had poured for me.

It poured a dark brown, but not opaque at all. Almost lager clear. Very carbonated taste, but not much head on the beer.

Almost no aroma. Some subtle malts, but my mind may have been reaching for what it thought should be there.

Taste was just awful. Sounds bad, but I've compared it to dish water. Very light bodied, with nothing stepping forward on the pallate but carbonation. I did not enjoy this beer and would discourage everyone I know from trying it... well, everyone I like anyways.

Wow. Well this isn't my favorite style (I often don't like these), and I only stuck it into a singles 6 to finish it off. We have been travelling through Southwestern Wisconsin and wanting to try Wisconsin beers that we don't see every day. We bought these in a nice liquor store in a little town along the Mississippi.

So I'm drinking it a bit warm, which no doubt helps. The flavor is extremely well balanced and not in any way funky. The malt, hops, and yeast are all just right.

This is a pleasant surprise.

3.56/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours from the tap a superbly creamy and cratered off-white head, on top of a ruddy color. It's a very nice looking beer, no question.

There's a sweet nuttiness dominating the flavor, but also with a milk or cream type smell. Very slight mineral in the back.

While it doesn't taste like anything totally special, it still is a solid, enjoyable, tasty little beverage that does everything this style should do. Sweetness and nuttiness are mellow but very much the stars of the show, there's a cola flavor as well, almost even Dr. Pepper (or Mr. Pibb, whatever you like). Sweet cream and a very mild mineral bitterness pervade through the taste and into the finish. A slick, well-carbonated but also slightly creamy body delivers the flavor nicely.

Maybe it's because I haven't had a decent brown ale in a while, maybe it's because it's been freshly tapped, but this is a really good brown, from a brewer who rarely do much of great interest. I'll stand up for this beer (but only on-tap, no idea how the canned version fares).

Part Two of my Berghoff testing. Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: pours a transparent brown color. Another bubbly thin head that dissipates as fast you can say, "that don't look right". Light and headless for a brown ale.

S: Malt, some hops, and maybe barley. Not too powerful.

T: Urgh. I'm quickly learning Berghoff beers are going to have similar flavors and taste, none of which are very enjoyable. Starts with some malt taste, but ends with an odd fake sweet taste.

M: Way too over-carbonated that you can't recognize taste until the tingling stops. Funky aftertaste.

O: It's simple, there is nothing appealing about this beer. I'm not too happy with this brewery claiming it's beers as 'craft'.

3.36/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Clear, dark brown in color. More carbonation than I was expecting. Creamy off-white head which disapates quickly.

S: Breads and slight nutty aroma. Sweet smelling caramel too.

T: More of the same from the smell. Bready maltiness with slightly spicy nut flavor. A little too sweet. Combination of flavors comes out artificial tasting. I sometimes like artificial tasting things, so this was not too bad with me.

M: Pretty thin, making this beer easy to drink.

O: Nothing great, but I enjoyed this one more than other reviewers seem to have. It 's kinda artificial and adjuncty, but it was easy to drink and certainly not the worst thing that I've ever comsumed.

Sundown Dark from Berghoff Brewery