Tesseract

Feb 02, 2015
SCORE
World-Class
TesseractTesseract
Notes: We punched up our favorite DIPA with an extra dose of mosaic cryo hops. More lupulin oil and less vegetative matter delivers an even fruitier and smoother hop experience.
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

4.42 by Curt3 from New Jersey on May 13, 2022
4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5
by jonesdouge from New Jersey

Best Grimm and I've had a bunch of them. The mouth feel is just tremendous, it has a razor sharp focus on the palate. World class NEIPA.

May 12, 2022

3.78 by Chuckdiesel24 from Illinois on Jan 09, 2022

4.16 by InfernoBoss from California on Dec 31, 2021

4.37 by bschmidt_37 from Illinois on Nov 20, 2021
4.92/5  rDev +11.8%
by NearlyAboveAverage

One of my all time favorites. Honestly - I would hydrate with this instead of water if the universe allowed. One of the best IPAs I've ever had.

Nov 19, 2021

4.41 by caffeinelogic from New York on Nov 15, 2021

4.36 by Nunya from Ohio on Nov 14, 2021
4.5/5  rDev +2.3%
by DaveMaciolek21 from New Jersey

Legit smooth and juicy NEIPA. Hazy bright gold in the glass, nice white foamy head that hugs the glass as it dissipates. Mouthfeel is smooth, and with ample fruit flavor, a bit chewy. With a nice blend of citrus with sweeter tropical fruit flavor, you half expect pulp in every sip. Another Mosaic and Citra marriage made in heaven.

Nov 04, 2021
4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
by MacMalt from New Jersey

Canned on 6/23/2021 so 11 days old when reviewed. Poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass. It pours a lazy, nearly opaque, bright tangerine color with a huge, foamy, bright white head and thick, soapy lacing. The smell is bold with tangerine, pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, and sweet floral hops. The taste opens with a blast of citrus blending tart lemon and grapefruit with sweeter pineapple, tangerine, and a hint of ripe cantaloupe. At mid-palate there are notes of pine needles, bubblegum, and grass. The Citra and Mosaic hops, always a great combination, really shine, and the Falconers Flight hops compliment then well. It finishes with a clean bitterness that appeases a hop lover without overpowering. This ale has a moderate mouth feel with a pleasant level of carbonation, and it's easily drinkable at 8% ABV. Tesseract is a DIPA I've been wanted to try for years and it didn't disappoint. It's so basic in its construct but highly flavorful and drinkable. It merits its World-Class rating.

Jul 04, 2021

4.29 by hockeypuck from Maine on Jul 04, 2021
4.71/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
by SudsDoctor from New York

This is the third IPA I’ve had from Grimm (After Image and Lambo Door the others) and all have been excellent. But this may well be my favorite of the three. Like the eponymous space stone vessel from the MCU, this one is transporting. :wink: Pour reveals a golden, translucent liquid topped by an ample 3-4 finger head that slowly settles. Color is within range for the style and pedestrian, while the head is better than most. Massive pineapple/guava on the nose and palate, with some underlying notes of pale stone fruit on the latter as well. Smoothly creamy mouthfeel, but with enough bite to keep it from becoming insipid.

Mar 28, 2021
4.45/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5
by mike22ne from Massachusetts

Poured from a can dated 2/2/21.
Big hoppy, juicy IIPA here.
Lots of citrus, tropical fruits and dank resin qualities. Slick feel and strong flavors, punchy and sharp.
Very tasty, glad I picked this one up!

Mar 18, 2021
4.09/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by q33jeff from New Jersey

03/12/21

Can to tulip glass.

LOOK: mostly clear medium yellow color; hint of haze. frothy white head fades quick. OK retention. Head comes back, but with much less magnitude.

AROMA: grapefruit, some hay,

TASTE: grapefruit, lemon peel, hay, white grape-pinot grigio, little bit of peach. Some late ash.

FEEL: pretty light bodied, with somewhat of a kick. Nice small bubble carbonation and sharp feel that approaches astringency, but stops short of anything negative.

Initially underwhelmed, but it rallied a bit. I'd still put it below Splish, but it's close. I also may have overrated Splish, but I will revisit some day if possible.

Mar 12, 2021

4.46/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
by hops_for_thought from New York

Poured from a can (30Oct2020) into a Teku

L: pours a turbid yellow orange with a very thick white head. Not quite “clear” but certainly not the hazy/milky/creamy NEIPA look. As the head fades leaves chunky lacing, dissipates to minimal bubbles on the surface of the beer. Bit of soapy lacing left with each sip

S: fantastic gummy tropical fruit aroma with a nice bit of contrasting bitterness and earthiness as well. Get pineapple, papaya, melon, peach, some citrusy tangerine. Piney character as well, along with the berry medley I find with Mosaic. There’s a nice dank note under the fruit notes providing some welcome depth, perhaps tie that back to the piney character I noted

T: follows the nose well, great mix of fruit with a bit more bite and piney character than the standard NEIPAs of late. Nice tangerine/grapefruit citrusy bitterness is there with a more earthy/piney flavor. Get some of that peach/papaya/melon on the swallow but it’s less apparent here than the nose, that gummy nature present at first but then falling prey to the more bitter/earthy notes. Moves nicely into a medium-long finish, silly how drinkable it is

F: medium carbonation, medium/medium- body, quite light, very drinkable, slightly drying especially a minute or so post swallow

O: a really great DIPA that presents some nice earthiness that’s somewhat hard to find (unless it’s a negative like hop burn). Incredibly drinkable, there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on that I find it lacking - perhaps a bit more body? Splitting hairs, it’s great

Nov 19, 2020
4.25/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
by brureview from Massachusetts

With Mosaic, Citra and Falconer Flight hops.
The aroma broadens with warming- floral, interesting citrus.
Taste: Very distinctive fruit- citrus, tropical fruit, but in a different blend than other DIPAs
Not very hoppy. Excellent DIPA.

Nov 18, 2020

4.28 by IdrinkGas from Pennsylvania on Nov 18, 2020

4.5 by Orny18 from New York on Nov 15, 2020

4.4 by jdow117 from Ohio on Nov 11, 2020

3.6 by TheIPAHunter from Pennsylvania on Jun 13, 2020
4.43/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5
by Antg8989 from New Jersey

Look: Somewhat hazy gold. White head. Lacing is present. 4.5

Nose: Pine, grapefruit, melon, raw dough. 4.5

Taste: Passionfruit, guava, pine, grapefruit and lemongrass. 4.25

Feel: Medium high carbonation. Body is medium leaning toward full bodied. 4.75

Overall: Wonderfully complex. 4.5

Jun 11, 2020
4.49/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by WunderLlama from Massachusetts

Canned 5.27.2020, opened 6.7.2020

Can Purchased at CBC Plymouth poured into a teku

Been wanting to try this beer , not usually seen in these waters

One finger frothy white foam csp, good retention , good lacings, settles to a layer with clingy lacings over a golden orange translucent liquid

Aroma is very floral, hint of earthiness

Taste is floral hops

Smooth mouthfeel , medium sudsing, full hop flavor No bite

Good beer , repeatable

Jun 07, 2020
3.84/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by VelvetExtract from Massachusetts

Can. As a fan of the Grimm brand, I have been attempting to try this beer for years. Surprised by the pour. This beer is hazy but I can almost see clear through it. I was expecting a mud bath. Nothing of the sort. Aroma is a pretty standard setlist of wet, melon, mango hops. A Grimm production for sure. Sorta like when you know you're watching an A24 flick even before the title comes up. Nose is solid but it doesn't blow me away; mostly due to it's lack of intensity. Flavor is pretty rich but it's more of the same tricks I've seen before. Several times from other breweries AND from this brewery as well. Its tasty and drinks easy but it does not hit the marks I set for it after these years. Good not great.

Jun 06, 2020
4.29/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25
by ichorNet from Massachusetts

I am so excited to finally drink this one, as it is a beer I have wanted to try for over five years... I think I first heard about it some time in 2014 or 2015 but we didn't get distribution for any Grimm IPAs at that time other than, every now and then, a keg of one of their more common single IPAs at the fancier places in Boston etc. Anyway, enough about my lust for this beer finally being satiated (although I will brag that I picked up the very last can in stock at the only retailer I know of that got any of this beer, so I feel quite cool)... how is it, in actuality?

The pour is a little less intense/impressive than I thought it'd be, honestly. It's hazy and yellow-ish without much depth to the color (Lambo Door is pretty similar to this in color, though, I will mention), and the head only builds up to a single finger so don't expect to be utterly blown away by how it looks. The lacing here, however, is quite spectacular; soapy and consistent with good retention. Overall, though, I actually think this might be disappointing to me. Oh well, I'm sure it'll make up for the lacking appearance with the more important aspects of scent and flavor.

This is hopped with Mosaic (Cryo, I believe, according to the updated notes here), Falconer's Flight, and Citra. Quite an illustrious blend, especially considering you don't really see FF much these days. When I first bring this to my nose, I am immediately impressed by the seemingly-effortless dance between the dank and fruity side of hazy double IPAs present in this recipe. I mean, this has that oregano/onion dankness quotient through the roof while also brimming with tangy citrus, soft tropical undertones, and a funky berry-driven earthiness which I typically attribute to Mosaic.

On the tongue, Tesseract is very herbal and tropical by turns, with some fun flavors of red berries and sticky pine melding with mango and aggressive guava. The dank and oniony note from the nose is a little more reined-in here, for sure, but it's replaced by the oily overly-complex approach Mosaic can sometimes take on in bigger hoppy beers like this, which is a pity because I really find stuff like that hit-or-miss, and this every now and then flirts a little too closely with the "miss" side of the paradigm for my liking. I know it's a personal thing, but my issue is that this seems like it can't settle down and choose a focus; it's all over the place, and not always in a satisfying way, because it's annoyingly tough to pin down. I mean, citrus, tropical fruit, herbal, grassy, dank, piney, sugary, sweet, and yet strongly bitter? It's a LOT to parse. That said, I do think it's quite good in its own way, I just don't prefer the approach here. Your taste may differ.

The feel, however, is superb. I have zero problems with it. Much like Lambo Door, this is super-plush feeling with incredible drinkability and litheness. It's just so crushable despite its high-ish ABV and complex flavor profile. The transition from playful, fruity earlier elements to more bitter finishing hops is superbly well-rendered here. I would probably buy this again if I had the opportunity, but I would also be fine enjoying this one can and never having it again. Take from that what you will!

Jun 06, 2020
4.44/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5
by Tarvismonroe from New York

This is my favorite double IPA. Fantastic combination of carbonation/feel, taste, hazy appearance.

May 02, 2020