Matchbox Lambo

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: Session IPA w/ el dorado, citra, & simcoe

We’ve taken one of our most beloved beers, Lambo Door, and reconfigured the DIPA as a bite-sized, super crushable session IPA. Matchbox Lambo is all mango and peach on the nose — like opening a bag of Haribo gummy rings. Notes of Valencia orange pop in the flavor. The body is light and dry with a mild and refreshing bite of bitterness.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 17 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
q33jeff from New Jersey

3.54/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

05/24/2020

can to snifter.

LOOK: pale yellow, decently hazy, wispy white head.
AROMA: light citrus, grass.
TASTE: citrus more present in taste, lemon and grapefruit are discernible.
FEEL: light with above average carbonation

light and easy sipping. enjoyed this better as my first beer of the day as opposed to yesterday when wedged between two heavier hitters.

May 24, 2020
ichorNet from Massachusetts

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite DIPAs in recent memory, now in bite-sized form! I had no idea this existed, nor did I have any clue we'd see it in my distribution area, so finding this on the shelf made me do a double-take, then actually let out a little snicker. Grimm got me here; I had honestly thought we got a second drop of Lambo Door (the full-size version of ML) and that it was weirdly cheaper, as this was something like $4.50 a can... still kind of yikes but I suppose it's forgivable. Anyway, this really is just a smaller version of Lambo. Same hops and probably the same grain bill, just scaled down. Fun!

The pour here is somewhat close to regular Lambo but slightly lighter, probably because this doesn't use as much grain so it appears less dense. It's an essentially opaque pineapple juice-looking color with a hint of golden peeking through. The head is retentive yet moderately-built; about a finger at its highest point. Lacing isn't as consistent as I noted with LD, but it's pretty good and sticky as hell. Average-to-good legs and moderate surface coverage. Good but not fantastic.

Nose is very similar to Lambo, punching my senses right off the bat with ludicrously great scents of tropical fruit gummi bears, papaya, mango, and pineapple. Maybe a hint of passion fruit as well, plus some very light suggestions of pine and orchard fruit. El Dorado does some magic in the main recipe, and it functions just as nicely here, providing a very intriguing and attention-grabbing counterpoint to the aggressive Citra/Simcoe combo.

Flavor profile has a slightly less aggressive tone to it than regular Lambo, but that makes sense given the ABV difference. Up front it is big on grapefruit and tangelo/tangerine, light pine, and blueberry with some of those gummi candy notes in the mid-palate. Some nice oats (or maybe wheat) as a backbone for the grain bill, giving it a little heft. Orange and juicy pineapple with some light papaya. Bubbly and fizzy but still somewhat heavier bodied than other sessions, like I mentioned. Almost like a mimosa beer; if you added a few cL of OJ to this, it'd be nice as a wake-up treat. Fun and enjoyable. Will buy again, but it isn't a priority like LD is.

May 21, 2020