Winter IPA | Faction Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by heymikew on 11-09-2013

Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 57
4.74/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this on tap the other day at the Starry Plough in Berkeley. I got it not expecting much, but I was pleasantly BLOWN AWAY! This is one of the best IPA's I have ever had in my life. I can describe it as Robust, and beautiful in color. Hoppy, but not in an out of balance way, mouth feel is wonderful, resiny, I want more of this!

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Whole Foods Blossom Hill in San Jose.
Pours a darkish gold color with a light head.
Smell is classic IPA with citrus and pine notes.
The taste explodes on the palate with hops, citrus, and a very faint hint of spice in the background. Slight bitterness on the finish,
This is an absolutely delicious beer. Faction does it again.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

While very good, their flagship pale ale had a very fruity hoppy flavor and was much more balanced. I would still revisit this one, but it was not my favorite of the two options.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

4.34/5  rDev -1.6%

This pours a clear golden color with a light hop aroma. I get some pine and citrus peel with a earthy straw backbone. There’s a pleasing hoppiness on the palate, with more of the same sorts of citrus and piney straw balanced with a taste of caramel malt. Oddly I also encountered a bit of baking soda on the finish, something I found consistent with the Faction beers. Part of their flavor profile? Or the Alameda water?

2.83/5  rDev -35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Had this beer on a trip to California while sampling most of the small name local offerings. Faction's Winter was overall slightly unimpressive. First impressions were that it had an overwhelming "home brew" taste. The smell was alright, mianly cedar notes, but really, overall not that great. I can't shake the feeling that I'm judging a homebrew competition--not something I look forward to in a beer I'm paying money for.

4.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The trend seems to be to brew for the season at hand, and winter is no exception. Unfortunately for we consumers, some of the larger brewers are so eager to create a new flavor, they sacrifice the quality. I'm so tired of over-spiced winter lagers that leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. Finally, someone got it right. This is a lightly spiced IPA with a reddish tint, moderately carbonated, without the bite and a slightly cloudy pour that won't overwhelm you in its complexity. The array of flavors in its blend give you the winter experience without detracting from the hoppy IPA backdrop. It doesn't slam you in the face at the start like a Sam Adams or Widmer's, and finishes easily without any burnt notes like you might get from other winter lagers. If you can get this, you have to try it.

4.71/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Watch out Bay Area
Rodger is finally getting to brew the way he's been imagining
That can only mean great beer for all of us

When Claudia brought the keg in, the first thing I asked her was "is it cold"
As soon as she confirmed that her drive across the island had been short, and the temperature had not been compromised, David hooked it up and produced three glasses.

First whiff: mmmm
First sip: that thing Homer does when he gets a headrush
Only regret: we got a small keg instead of the 1/2 bbl