Defying Gravity Escape Velocity | D9 Brewing Company

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by kell50 on 08-15-2017

Reviews by BeerForMuscle:
4.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

You either like sour beers, or you don't.

I do. A lot. And THIS one is pretty outstanding. There's nothing special about the way it looks. No huge head, not a whole bunch of lacing. But the 14% ABV has a lot to do with that.

This ale makes the mouth pucker... but not excessively. Even with the very high ABV, it tastes refreshing, probably exactly because of the sourness.

I will definitely buy this one again. What a welcome change from the over glut of IPAs flooding the market these days.

UPDATE: Having tried this again months after my original review, I still like it. However, I'm surprised that I failed to mention how strong the smell and taste of sherry is. Maybe I couldn't place these things before, but they seem quite obvious now.

After having had a steady diet of Victory's Sour Monkey for the past 8 or 10 months, I notice how very different of a sour this is. In fact, I can see how it could overwhelm even those who like sours.

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +3.6%

2.53/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I don't get it! I usually favor high ABV beers. I bought this in a 12 ounce bottle. I can not tell when it was bottled (to see if that was the reason) for my disappointment. Very little head when poured into a glass but bubbles were rising the whole time it was in my glass. No lacing whatsoever. It did not even taste like beer to me and herein may be why this beer and I did co-exist. I purchased it without my reading glasses on, but upon reading it at home it is some type of sour fruit beer. My wife drinks fruit beer. I personally do not like that style of beer, The printed type of beer on the bottle was sour brewed with coffee, cherry and spices, so for all I know this may very well be a good beer for someone expecting this type of taste and the low body feel. Sorry, this one is not for me. I purchased another beer from this brewery, I an curious to try it and will keep anyone interested posted. If anyone is curious the 14.2% ABV was well hidden as there was not a strong alcohol
taste. Just so everyone understands, I am an IPA, Stout, Belgian Ale type guy. Oh well, getting ready to finish it off! Cheers

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12oz Bottle

Huge thanks goes out to Wil for his amazing generosity. Thanks, bud! Escape Velocity is a dark golden beer verging on lighty tarnished bronze. There's a touch of haziness but it's pretty clear overall. A soapy, yet dense, white head grows to two fingers on the pour before falling to a thick, silky crown. A fine looking beer is this one. Impressive head retention considering the adjuncts and sheer size.

The nose is wild and delicious. It begins with that very unique kombucha note, tea-like and twangy. There's a soft but welcoming medicinal note from the cherries, more sterile than sweet. I'm not sure of the spices present but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if juniper isn't used rather heartily. There are certainly some woodsy elements that remind me a bit of allspice. I don't pull out any coffee, surprisingly. Or booze, even more surprisingly. The sour aspects are a touch metallic and mineral driven, the kind I like. This stuff is unique and mouthwatering. Oh, wait, with some warmth the soft coffee comes forward.

The flavor pretty much runs in line with the nose. Medicinal cherry kicks things off along with a brighter coffee than the nose suggested, a little green, but a component instead of the whole. That unique kombucha tea-like brightness and twang pops in the middle and runs through the finish. I would certainly say that allspice is added in this beer. The juniper I'm no longer sure of. Again, it's metallic and mineral driven but with a solid tartness and medicinal funk. The only noticeable alcohol is a warming in the chest, which is incredibly impressive.

The body is amazingly light with a rapid yet smooth carbonation. My only gripe is that it could use a bit more weight and pop, actually, but that's a tiny gripe. Prickly carbonation and a sturdy tartness grips the sides of the tongue and the finish is nice and dry. Again, there is zero noticeable alcohol. This is impressive beer.

Escape Velocity is a crazy beer from D9. Crazy delicious. You never know what you'll get when you see a something with that many adjuncts and especially when it's a sour and 14%. They managed to knock this one out of the park. For all the paths it's remarkably well balanced, done with a deft hand. It's unusually drinkable. It's dangerous. This is something worth checking out and the price is right. Thanks again, Wilson!

Defying Gravity Escape Velocity from D9 Brewing Company