Confectioner Series 002: Irish Coffee Stout
D9 Brewing Company

Confectioner Series 002:  Irish Coffee StoutConfectioner Series 002:  Irish Coffee Stout
Beer Geek Stats:

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 7
2.84/5  rDev -17.7%

16 oz can poured into a shaker.

Appearance
Mahogany/near black. Short tan head.

Nose
Dark coffee & cream, roasted barley, charcoal, and earth.

Taste
Dark coffee with heavy cream & sugar. Roasted barley and caramel. Light charcoal and earth

Mouthfee
Light bodied, smooth, creamy, and sweet.

Overall
It has coffee and it's dry...

3.69/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I will readily cop to an unfamiliarity with this series, especially since I CANpletely missed out on Series 001. 8=( That said, I am always CANurious as the owners/proprietors/staff of The Beer & Beverage Shoppe in Lancaster, PA know quite well. I walk in & they begin to trot out all sorts of arrivals & other desirous beers. I happened to see three of this series & when I inquired as to the fourth, it was sold out. 8=( No matter! I'll take one of each of the other three for the advancement of The CANQuest (tm). [EDIT] I found the fourth! It was hiding out at Rieker Brew Works, a local distributor/bottle shop. The proprietress loves me as I CAN put her through her paces as soon as I walk through the door. She knows to be low-key with me as I usually have a CANjenda, but she will not hesitate to turn me onto new arrivals. I was VERY fortunate to hit upon this one recently.

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with Coffee and Lactose".

Sehr gut! More adjuncts. I have been < impressed with this series thus far, so this remains their one ChANce for retribution. I would not be so down if it were not for the not-inexpensive pricepoint.

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent, followed by a slow, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. It foamed nicely, even producing a pseudo-cascade as it formed just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-tan/light-brown head with moderate retention. Color was solidly Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose had a definite coffee presence, so fair dinkum there. Moutheel was full, creamy & very impressive for NOT having to resort to N2 (see tomorrow's entries). The taste reminded me of Cuban Café con Leche.

That translates to "coffee with milk", but there is a difference. My late maternal grandfather drank "PapPap Coffee" - percolated (!) Eight O'clock ground with a LOT of Evaporated/CANdensed Milk from a CAN, plus a buncha sugar. Gasp! As such, I was allowed to have some as a child. As a Navy seaman, I learned to drink & enjoy black coffee. That said, I also learned to drink it in many worldwide countries in their fashion.

This was Café con Leche inCANate! The idea is not to smother the coffee with the leche (milk), but instead, to allow the two to bond. A practitioner knows precisely the correct balance of the two & when to stop with the addition of the milk. It is not the other way 'round - a cup of milk with coffee added, as PapPap & Grummy often made. Ugh. No, the coffee was the star in this one. Was it evocative of Irish Coffee? Not really. Was it evocative of Bailey's Irish Cream? Sorta. Finish was semi-sweet, which is about what I CAN stand. It was decent, but for the price point & my searching, I felt unfulfilled. YMMV.

Confectioner Series 002: Irish Coffee Stout from D9 Brewing Company