New Holland Gruit | New Holland Brewing Company

newhollandbrew.com

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

Added by GRPunk on 06-01-2010

3.65/5  rDev 0%

On-tap poured into a pint glass.

A- Brown-black body. 1-1/2 finger head dropped to a light film leaving very little stick on the glass.

S- Faint aroma initially. Mosty spice. Something of pie spice due to the mix of aroma, almost like opening your spice cabinet. Hard to pick any one or two aromas. With warmth it opens up to showcase something of brown sugar and sweet malt.

T- Malty flavor of dark bread. A little smoky/roasty flavor. I picked out licorice and a variety of spice that's hard to describe. It reminded me of something like the really dark, grainy German breads.

M- Light carbonation. Smooth and fairly viscus.

D- Very much a sipper. I'm not going to have more than 1 in a sitting, but it's interesting enough that I'd try it again.

Friends were less impressed with it than I was.

New Holland Gruit from New Holland Brewing Company