Barrel-Aged Golden Cap | New Holland Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

New Holland Brewing Company
newhollandbrew.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Saison aged in American oak white wine barrels.

Added by Rifugium on 01-09-2012

4.25/5  rDev +1%

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Served in a tulip glass, this beer was the palest of straw-yellows, with a huge puff of white head that quickly receded to a thin, patchy layer. Crisp, woody aroma, apple skins, very heavy on the funk. Taste was pretty incredible; similar in ways to other saisons I've had, but surely very unique. Grassy, dry oak, various fruit skins and rinds, wet hay, and--get this--a very pronounced flavor of bread&butter pickles! My wife hated it of course, but I though it was amazing, and I savored it to the end. I don't know what kind of liquor, if any, was in the barrels this beer was aged in, but whatever it was, it was barely detectable, though the oak itself did come through. Chewy mouthfeel at first, but light and crisp in the finish. Quite a pleasant sipper indeed.

Barrel-Aged Golden Cap from New Holland Brewing Company