Other Half / Modern Times - You Can’t See Birds at Night

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Imperial stout with coconut milk, toasted coconut, toasted macadamia nuts, and Modern Times coffee.
Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 19 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This one pours a quite syrupy looking dark black color, with massive floaties and chunks of toasted coconut, a very, very small head, and no lacing. It doesn't look really all that appealing.

This smells primarily like sugar, with a massive coconut aroma, very chocolatey coffee aromas, a bit of nuttiness.

This tastes undeniably good, but as an overall experience, it's kind of tough. It's monstrously sweet, and honestly just too much. The "adjuncts" throw it completely out of balance, and it tastes super syrupy. There's definitely a lot of coconut here, and I can really appreciate that, at least. I don't get a ton of overt coffee, but there's loads of sweet chocolate syrup/chocolate milk type flavors. There's a good amount of macadamia, though.

This is thick, syrupy, and chunky, and just not all that drinkable for that fact. I could not handle a lot of this.

This is just a bit too messy. I usually like OH stouts a lot more than I like this.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Alright - for the record, I love Other Half. I used to go nearly every Saturday and even though I went through a bit of a burnout phase, I still make my way over there nearly every week to pick up anything new and say hi to all the regulars. Most of their bottled beers have been wonderful lately but this one was a bit odd. No, it wasn't a drain pour but I'm interested to see if anyone else had the same experience with it that I did...

So about that pour - sure, this was dark and rich but I ended up with a long, thin string-like bit of residue at the top of the liquid. I almost thought it was a worm but it turned out to be residue, or a reaction or...I don't know what but it was just so odd. It didn't really break up and on top of it, there were tan crystalline bits around the top of the liquid as well. Combine that with a rest-receding head and the end result was just a bad first impression. Lots of coffee, booze, coconut, and hints of brandy in the nose as the taste was just as rich and sweet. Not badly crafted but this was a slow sipper regardless, because of how potent it was.

While it didn't feel as strong as the ABV listed on the bottle, it's easy to discern how much alcohol was in this. Sometimes, you go to a formal even and have a 7-layer cake or a tiny treat that came straight out of the oven or from a bakery, and take forever to get it down. This felt like that as it was almost too thick, rich, and nutty to kick back with. It's that dark - on the level of truly not being able to see any birds at night...

4.98/5  rDev +19.1%

4 oz pour at OH is the right amount. Possibly the best non-BA, adjunct stout I’ve ever had. Very sweet, super betus but very well hidden abv. Like fudgey coconut macaroons. Not hot out of the tap, but has that alcohol presence sneaking in. Impressed!

Other Half / Modern Times - You Can’t See Birds at Night from Other Half Brewing Company - Brooklyn
Beer rating: 92 out of 100 with 19 ratings