Pillar To Post Rye

Notes:
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 63 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow, yet CANother from the depths of the backlog without any idea as to its origin. I would have guessed my local, in-person trader, @tone77 but he has not reviewed it, making him less likely. This is a CANQuest (tm) CANundrum & the very reason that I have pretty much shut the valve on the aCANuisition of more beer for the foreseeable future. I gotta get out from under!

From the CAN: "Spirited/Gravitational Nectar/Bold"; "Bitterness Scale (42 IBU)[,] Color Intensity (24 SRM".

I Crack!ed open the vent only to be met with a light spritz across my fingertips! It was CANother brimful craft CAN, but I was not CANplaining, merely remarking. I employed a light, gentle C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass at which point it produced a pseudo-cascade that finally settled into just under two fingers of dense, solid, foamy, light-tan head with decent retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity & mahogany highlights. 8=O AmeriCAN Brown Ale? My A**! This was a Rye Ale through & through! Man, the peppery, spicy mintiness shone through the moment that I lifted the glass to my nose for a sniff. The intensity was unmistakable. Mmm. Have I mentioned recently how Rye is my preferred distilled beverage? Mouthfeel was big, thick, full & creamy, like a dollop had been scooped into my mouth & onto my tongue! Mmm. The taste was immediately of Rye malt & I beCAN to wonder in what quantity or percentage of the malt bill it acCANted for. This was no playin' around, kids. This was Rye at its finest - cool, peppery, minty, pepperminty, spicy, dry. Yeah, there was a chocolatiness & a breadiness, but the Rye was clearly the star of this show. Warming, I beCAN to think of Rye bread. Mmm. In fact, if I CAN find this again, I'd want it with some Rye bread. Finish was cool, pepperminty & extremely dry. It is a total disservice to think of this as simply an ABA. I will be submitting a ChANge request acCANdingly. YMMV.

Nov 03, 2019
WoodBrew from Ohio

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying this at the brewery. It poured a rich mahogany with white head that is leaving a very nice lace. The scent had hints of dense bread. The taste is nicely balanced and easy to drink. Good bread base with touch of sweetness. The Mouthfeel is fuller in body with good carbonation. Overall it's a great beer.

Jan 12, 2017
justinp444 from Michigan

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass it has a dark brown body with a quarter inch thick slight beige head. Smell of rye, spice, orange, slight citrus, and lots of bready malt. Taste is much the same with a nice toffee and vanilla flavor as well. Mouth feel is full as well as carbonation and body. Definetly looks a bit too dark for a brown ale and has some characteristics of a porter , but tastes like a very flavorful brown and I would buy again.

Dec 31, 2016
Vestlake from Alabama

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Can pour. Half a finger tan head. Beer is extremely dark and the body is very thick. This beer looks and smells more like a porter than a brown ale. Taste has a lot of malt and the rye is there too. Very smooth, but relatively thick mouthfeel. Pretty good, but it feels more like a porter than a brown.

Jun 12, 2016
brewskifan55 from Mississippi

3.91/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Magic City Brewfest, Birmingham. (Nice meeting you guys. Thanks for the tattoo!)

A: Medium brown with a half finger tan head that lingered.

S: Toasty malts with a rye punch.

T: And I can say the same for the taste. There's malt/rye battle for superiority going on and the taste wins. Smooth and semi-sweet. Highly drinkable.

M: Medium with medium carbonation.

O: This one was recommended and I'm glad I got to try it. Cool brewery.

Jun 06, 2016
beertunes from Kiribati

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to RichJ1970 for including this in his NBS BIF #3 box. 12oz can poured into 10oz goblet. Poured a nice clean brown, with a bit of a reddish tint, and had about 1/2 inch of tan head that very good retention and light lacing.

The aroma was mostly slightly sweet malt, with just a touch of Rye. Pretty similar on the tongue, with the rye popping through a bit more noticeably. No real hop presence.

The body was smooth, even and had a semi-dry finish, something of a surprise in the style. Drinkability was very good, I could easily see knocking off a couple of these. Overall, a nice, solid brew. enjoyable, and worth a shot if you see it.

Apr 06, 2016
AgentMunky from New York

3.91/5  rDev -1%

On tap at the brewery. From notes. Reviewed 30 July 2015.
4/3.5/4/4.25/4
My favorite Trim tab beer. Interesting and complex, with a velvety-rich mouthfeel. A bitterish, roasty sort of brown ale. I enjoy it!

24 March 2016 EDIT:
Freshly canned first batch. 5.5%
Pours dark and smooth. Smells malty metallic, with a little something else. The rich, smooth mouthfeel is still there, very little metal, nice bitterness, moderate roast. Velvety indeed. Completely stand by my initial review.

Aug 13, 2015
richj1970 from Alabama

Poured on draft at local pizza joint.

A: Dark brown with two finger off white head. Lasting retention and light sticky lacing.

S: Lightly roasted malts. Caramel, brown sugar, and rye spices.

T: Sweet roasted malts mixed with a light rye spicy bite.

M: Full bodied and average carbonation. Finish is clean and refreshing.

O: A solid brown ale. I could crush these all day long.

Feb 28, 2015